TAM, does LAN know what its getting into...?

Discussion in 'LAN | LANPASS' started by Gaucho, Feb 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the title is a little toungue'in-cheek.... but given how some operational issues are handled at TAM I see that they are looking at a few culture shock issues once they fully merge. Various things of each company seem to have very different DNA, it kind of reminds me of Daimler Benz and Chrysler. Needless to say, for the sake of the airline industry in the Southern Cone, I hope that this merger does not end like the Daimler Chrysler fiasco... else it will be only the IBankers, Lawyers and Consultants making the big bucks to now merge them and then split them up again.... I guess we will all find out soon enough.

Some examples of the very different (and perhaps conflicting) DNA differences include....

a) Boarding Procedures: LAN is very orderly, and their methods and also infrastructure at the gates is prepared for a orderly procedure. If you try to board before you are supposed to, LAN agents will politely but firmly ask you to put your Pototo back on a seat of your choice until your row is called. TAM is very carnaval-like... its all TudoBem and you board when you want to, no matter what row you have... folks cut in line, and agents are too busy chatting with other agents and nobody checks.

b) Cabin Crews. LAN staff can be robotic at times, but they do come in handy when you need to get your seatmate to put up his seat so you can eat. TAM agents dont seem to care... you have to fight your own battles in the coach cabin. No idea how it is up front. When LAN doesnt load duty free products, they explain and are very apologetic.... TAM didnt load them on my return flight from GRU... wife asked to buy something to three different FAs, it took a fourth request to get someone to say, sorry, we didnt load duty free on this flight.

c) Language issues.... I was very surprised to not find a single TAM employee that could speak even broken Spanish. I tried on all four of my flights, and with various agents and TAM uniformed staff at GRU. If you want to speak spanish to a TAM person, it better be at EZE.... levels of English were also very rudimentary... Ive had better luck with LAN staff with respect to English... guess the LAN corporate culture has been better at teaching English to their staff... this will have to be addressed after the Merger.

d) Cabin Service Comparison (in coach). TAM is OK... but LAN is far better. The food and overall service is a notch up in LAN... the merged companies will have to work on not making this difference noticeable. IFE on LAN is also better than TAM's, only one of my flights had it but I was able to experiment it quite a bit... also, the TV shows on TAM are much older than the ones on LAN, seems like LAN has more budget to get the latest films and shows.

zpaul, IDGflygirl and druiddation like this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would imagine that if/when the TAM planes are repainted with better paint and a nice star on the tail, that a new "service standard" will go into effect for brand uniformity. As it is, there are noticeable variances between the attitudes/service of various LAN entities, but a minimum brand standard remains. And I'd bet the folks in Pudahuel know exactly what they are getting into.

3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    For all our sake(s).... I hope you are right....

zpaul and IDGflygirl like this.