TAM cancels my flight last minute....

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | South America' started by Gaucho, Feb 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so I was on route to Salvador (Bahia) from Buenos Aires, with a connecting stop at GRU. We were scheduled to have only a 3 hour layover, but then TAM canceled our flight to Bahia, they did this 10 minutes after boarding time, all the pax were lined up at the gate.

TAM first told us it was an operational issue... no further details, I thought the flight was oversold... but then about 40 minutes later some senior ground staff told us that it was due to a mechanical issue. We were rebooked on the 2300ish flight out of GRU... this was a delay of 3 hours. I was with my wife and two infant kids... I dont need to explain to parents what a nighmare this was... and plus, we spent our time at the lovely domestic wing of the GRU Terminal which has no lounges to speak of... I carry an Amex card and also a Priority Pass but was told by airport staff that these were in the other terminals and that I needed a boarding pass to enter those lounges, which I did not have since I was on a TAM domestic connection.... (still not sure if this is correct, but thats for another thread).

So, TAM did offer us a free "dinner" at a cafeteria on a level below the departure gates... I cant remember the name but I think it was Serra Azul or something like that. We walked up to the place but turned right back around... the cleanliness of this establishment was at least dubious.

The entire experience was quite annoying also because TAM ground staff are very poorly trained, information does not flow properly and everything is very not organized. It took them about 60 minutes to get folks the new boarding passes and then send them to get food, I was with my family and the new flight had us seated in 4 different rows... this with a 4 year old son and a 2 year old daughter... I then had to wait another 35 minutes to get my new boarding passes and in the end... it was all pointless because the flight to Bahia was designated as a free seating flight....

Of course, when we boarded (15 minutes later than originally planned), we had a delay of another 20 minutes vs. acual planned departure because a couple of top tier TAM pax threw a fit that the flight was free seating and they did not get the seats they wanted.... all the FAs were just standing there and not even smiling.. it was just bizarre.... bottom line, this was a horrible start to our Brazilian Holiday courtesy of TAM.

I have zero status with TAM and since they designated the cancellation as a mechanical Im sure Im entitled to nothing... but just wanted to vent here and ask the TAM regulars if its even worth it for me to write an email or something.... they did offer "dinner" but honestly I did not dare eat that food (forget about letting my children eat it)... please note I dont expect an airline thats transporting me in Economy to feed me a 2 Star Michelin dinner for a delay but a simple ham and cheese sandwich like those they sell at the convenience stores all over the airport and a soft drink would have been sufficient, the cafeteria stuff they offered was just not acceptable.

Thanks for reading...

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We do have trials and tribulations. Unluckily these days they seem to be common everywhere. I think an email and a plea are certainly in order. Will they reply? I do not know. I have had only one serious delay with JJ and they handled it very well, so I am not a good judge. They cannot agree to a proposition unless one is made, though...

Gaucho likes this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks... I will write them.

Let's see if I can get an agent to provide me with the right email to send my correspondence to...

jbcarioca likes this.