TAM and LAN Colombia Joining Oneworld Alliance

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Mar 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

• Brazil's TAM to leave Star for oneworld in early 2014
    LAN Colombia to join oneworld too, building on LAN group's 13-year membership of alliance
    Business as usual for customers meantime, with seamless transition promised
    Latin America's top airline group strengthens oneworld's status as global first choice alliance

LATAM Airlines Group today confirmed its selection of oneworld® as the global alliance for all its passenger airlines.
    The decision, announced at a meeting of the oneworld Governing Board held in Hong Kong today, means:
    • Brazil's TAM Airlines will leave the Star Alliance to join oneworld, along with its Paraguay subsidiary. Their transition is expected to be completed during 2014's second quarter.
    • LAN Colombia, the latest part of LAN, will join oneworld as an affiliate member, in the fourth quarter of 2013.
    With Chile's LAN Airlines flying as a full member of oneworld since June 2000 and LAN Argentina, LAN Ecuador and LAN Peru added since as affiliate members, today's announcement will bring all of Latin America's top airline group into the same global airline alliance, alongside 11 of the other leading carriers from around the world and 30 of their affiliates.
    An exact date for TAM's departure from the Star Alliance will be announced in due course. The intention is for it to become part of oneworld immediately after it exits Star.

2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As someone who holds more UA miles, I think TAM's departure unfortunate. But as someone looking to try many Colombian regional cuisines on a oneworld explorer award, the addition of LAN Colombia is very welcome.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wahoo. More dominance on the south america market. If only asia was this way too

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is indeed are great news! For us brazilians who chose the OneWorld alliance the only bad thing is to wait till early 2014! Now many of us will retain or become EXPs in AA with less difficulties!

5. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another sad day for Star....

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    the way I see it: One world is becoming a giant in Latin/South America and challenged in most of Asia. Skyteam would be a giant in China. Star.. good for almost anywhere in the World apart from Australia.

autolycus and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    JAL, Cathay, Malaysian and Qantas are still in OW, are they not? No continental Chinese carrier, true, but OW is not exactly 'challenged' in Asia. Even in China the weakness is intra-China rather than to/from. That said, China is a definite weakness for OW.

autolycus likes this.
  8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. The situation would improve with Qatar joining OW.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps giving more inroads to major cities in Asia, but doesn't really help with flights within China or within Asia (besides the few 5th freedom flights QR operates in the area).

I think OW is trying to invest more heavily in Asia. I think we will see AA attempt to add more dot points in the region over the next few years, we've already seen some movement with the planned launch of DFW-ICN. BA is increasing frequencies of flights to China (PVG most recently), and recently added flights to ICN and will launch service to Chengdu (CTU) in Sep. The addition of MH is helpful in the region as well. There's movement within Asia in OW if you're looking. Not a flood, but I see an effort to focus on the region starting to surface.

Will see if it actually goes anywhere.

jbcarioca and kyunbit like this.
  10. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forgot Sri Lankan is also supposed to join OW.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Smaller impact, but does help. They have some useful 5th freedoms out of BKK.

12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't count JL and CX? China domestic is certainly a big issue. Otherwise I cannot see much of an issue when considering all the others who are already in OW.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    CX and JL are clearly the main Asia partners, but I was discussing the expansion other members are making into the region. I didn't see a reason to talk about JL and CX since their role in the region is self evident.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what would be fuel surcharges for UL; but it might offer a good access to many Asian cities without BA's outrageous fuel surcharges.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure it's really that useful other than the few 5th freedoms UL operates. UL's route structure and hub in CMB/MLE doesn't make it easy to connect to the rest of Asia without extra mileage cost.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    does anyone have experience with the TAM Airpass? now that they will be part of OneWorld i am looking at getting one, if they are offered, during the 2014 World Cup in brazil....

jbcarioca likes this.