Tale of two transcons...

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by The Lev, Nov 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Went from Toronto to Vancouver and back within 24 hours. Both flights in J both departing within 1/2 hour of each other. Here is a mini trip report...

On the outbound flight the crew seemed bound and determined to do as little as possible. Offered initial drink and nuts, no nuts refill. Salad served with no attempt to top up drinks even though my glass of wine was almost empty. Main course served and by the time they came around with wine I had already finished my meal. A little while later cookies and ice cream were passed around and then it was lights out - time to let the passengers on this afternoon flight have a nap so that they wouldn't bother the crew. The usual assortment of unhealthy snacks were offered about an hour before landing.

On the return trip I had some of the best service I've ever experienced in AC J. The food/drink service was as it should be. the Service Director consistently addressed everybody by name, took the time to chat with passenger and build rapport - she seemed to genuinely love her job. She and her crew mate were constantly in the cabin offering people refills of water, wine, whatever. Thanked me and another million miler for our business, acknowledging that it is thanks to passengers that she has a job.

My outbound was on a 763 - which I'd been looking forward to due to the pod and my return was a 321 - worst J in the non-RJ fleet, but the service made the 321 flight seem so much nicer.

Consistently inconsistent. sigh.

MX, MSYgirl and milchap like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time for mystery pax to evaluate in flight customer service.

mevlannen, YULtide and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mileage run in J? :eek:

YULtide likes this.
  4. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flights were in J - doesn't mean i paid for J and no need for a mileage run for me. I had to go to Vancouver for half a day to help launch a training session.

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That makes more sense. I was confused by "departing within 1/2 hour of each other", I thought you did an immediate turnaround!

6. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Outbound 4:00 PM, return 3:30 PM.

7. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    J service, as actually experienced, does seem to be quite variable. I've had very similar 'neglectful' trips, almost always out of YYC heading for YYZ, but I've had very good luck with YVR>YYZ. I suspect that it helps to travel on the same runs frequently: I'm more or less an habitué of AC034 and AC108, frex, where it's almost always the crew's first run of the day, and the world is new and young for all of us.

This time on AC108 I was lucky enough to score an overnight amenity kit that had been left behind, still-wrapped, behind my pod seat. Didn't particularly need another one, but it might make an interesting stocking-stuffer for one of my plethora of great-nieces and great-nephews (I'm playing the 'exotic Great-Aunt' card as hard as I can, these days!)

YULtide likes this.
  8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    My dear, that's **our** job. ^_^

YULtide likes this.
  9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're certainly exotic in our books. ;)

mevlannen likes this.
  10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heh, you don't know the half of it. As I saw to our impressionable new hires, "every story you've ever heard about me is true."

rehoult and YULtide like this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown much domestic (or even transborder) J, but international J seems to be fairly consistent.

Or is that just me?

rehoult and YULtide like this.
  12. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found international J to be more consistent than domestic J as well. Overall, I'd say I average 20% great, 70% average, and 10% terrible with AC. Nearly all of those 10% have been with 2 particularly terrible SDs who should really move on to other careers.

13. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, I suppose that I have been quite lucky, for although I frequently experience 'neglectful' service, I have not yet run into any truly terrible SDs. Mind'ee that I continue to hold the attitude that safety comes first, comfort a close second and attentive fawning a distant third. ^_^

YULtide likes this.
  14. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have to agree on all points.