Tale of Two SPG's in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by southender, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had the opportunity to do a quick visit to Baltimore; so tried two different SPG properties:
    Westin BWI
    have stayed here before and it is a nice place. unfortunately the phrase 'complimentary wireless' does not translate into 'wireless that works anywhere except in the lobby'. call to the operator and get reply "yea, I am getting a lot of call about that"... no service for 36+ hours. This is my second visit and maybe next time I will walk up the hill to the Sheraton.
    Checked out and headed for:
    Sheraton Inner Harbor (Charles Street)
    Convention on so prices were stratospheric. My traditional king got morphed into a 12th floor suite with harbor view. nice. while the rooms are dated and I swear I could smell my grandpa's pipe in the sitting room area, I enjoyed the room. And Morton's does take out- now that is a step up from Burger King!
    BWI on a Sunday in E (International)- bring a book and a coffee 'cause there isn't anything else to do- I have never seen a more empty terminal during daylight hours- on both sides of security!

perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  2. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could not agree more on the lax attitude of the staff at the Westin BWI. I have stayed there 8-10 times a year since it opened and have recently reviewed their slide down the hill on another travel related website. Initially, this hotel was great...I don't know if it was a change in management or what, but the relatively new hotel is in need of maintenance, which includes much more than the wireless... and the hotel staff seems indifferent. Unfortunately, the Sheraton next door is owned by the same management group and isn't much better. I may try the Sheraton downtown...after all, I do like the smell of pipe tobacco!

flyingdawg likes this.
  3. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past year I have stayed at both properties. Liked them both just fine.

The lounge grub at the Inner Harbor was very yummy.

flyingdawg likes this.