Taking the Plunge - Global Entry

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by moongoddess, Apr 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I finally did it! I filled out the Global entry application today, and it's now under review. assuming it meets with the TSA's approval, I'll need to schedule my interview. would any of you that have already been through the interview process care to comment on it? How long did it take, and what sort of questions did they ask you?

iolaire, wrxmom, andyroo31 and 2 others like this.
  2. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The interview process is quick and painless. If anything, it's gotten easier over time.

A few questions about your past travel, maybe some program info and taking your picture. You should be out in 15-20 minutes.

wrxmom, andyroo31 and Newscience like this.
  3. moongoddess

Status Points:
    That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks!

Newscience likes this.
  4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first wave of renewals should be coming up. I'd be interested to hear about that process.

Newscience likes this.
  5. andyroo31

andyroo31 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on applying. You'll wonder how you ever did without it, both for passing through Customs and also for Pre-Check. Two other things that will happen: you'll get a fingerprint scan and a small "CBP" sticker attached inside your passport.

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always appreciated getting it no additional charge with Nexus. Love all the options.

7. moongoddess

Status Points:
    Yeah, I got randomly selected for TSA Precheck on my last two flights, and now I am totally spoiled! I'm looking forward to having that experience all the time wherever I'm flying.

Mikus33 likes this.
  8. moongoddess

Status Points:
    So now it's time to schedule my interview. I have two options:

I have a four-hour layover in MIA on April 16. I could try to do the interview there. My flight to MIA is scheduled to arrive at 2:33 PM, and my outbound flight leaves at 6;20 PM. the catch is that my outbound flight is an international departure, and since it's with American it probably won't be departing from the international terminal. so I'll have to walk to the J concourse, do the interview, then go through security again and head back to catch my international flight. I've tentatively scheduled an interview at 3:15 PM. To those of you who know MIA well, does this seem feasible?

Alternatively, I could schedule an interview at ORD for the morning of June 6, fly up from OMA on the 6 AM fflight specifically for the interview, then spend the rest of the weekend with my parents. No worries about rushing to catch a flight after the interview in that scenario, but of course it costs me more money this way.

Which would you choose, and why?

(The option I really wanted, to do an early AM interview at DFW on the morning of my departure for MIA, is out, as every interview slot at DFW that day is booked. Damn!)

9. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go with the MIA interview. It doesn't hurt to check at DFW, sometimes you can do a walk-in. Besides what you have got to lose?

10. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    MIA is more than reasonable.

You will learn all about not visiting farms and not to bring back fruits and veggies, etc. They take your prints and take a picture. Done.

My interview took 10 minutes, my daughter's each were about the same, and my wife's was about five minutes as it was close to lunch.

No more CBP stickers unless they have some left over and you ask.

11. moongoddess

Status Points:
    After checking the MIA terminal map and discovering that Councourse J is at the opposite end of the airport from where I'll be arriving and departng, and after seeing that the MIA interview schedule is pretty much wide open on the afternoon of my flight, I decided to split the difference. I've moved my interview to ORD on June 6, but I'll try for a walk- in at DFW on the morning of April 15, and (if my flight isn't late and I feel up to carrying a fully-loaded non-wheeled carryon across the length of MIA twice) again at MIA in the afternoon if I strike out at DFW. If I can't get a walk-in at either airport, I'll book my tickets to ORD when I get back from my Galapagos trip and do my interview there.

othermike27 likes this.
  12. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wife and I did our interviews together in Milwaukee since home airport ORD was booked for 2 months back in Fall 2013. Each one took maybe 10 minutes tops. Answer a few tame questions, picture and fingerprints (be sure not to have any goop on your hands - slows things down). CBP guy (they are gun-toting, sworn agents) looked like he would really rather be out on the border chasing bad guys than interviewing tourists. Some people have reported being required to sit through a short presentation about the GE program.

Make sure you know the location of the ORD CBP office - when I wanted to schedule, they were located off the airport premises. Now, their website shows an office in Terminal 5 (International), which is just a tram ride from wherever you arrive. Oh, and a walk too...

Sounds like you'll get plenty of exercise however it works out! :)

13. moongoddess

Status Points:
    Yes, it looks like applying for Global Entry is going to be very good for my cardiovascular health!