Taking photos of aircraft cabins and lounges.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by milchap, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just reading some trip reports and I noticed photos of aircraft cabins especially premium ones.

I also noticed photos of pax seated. I wonder if certain pax would object to having their photos taken and especially published on the internet. Privacy is important for some people and they may object to their photos taken for whaever reason.

The same remark is made for photos of lounges.

I know that I am careful when I take photos and ask for permission.

Your views...... ?

2. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are a very thoughtful person, milchap. I wish everyone were as thoughtful as you are and respected the privacy of others as you do. :)

savydog and MissBurrill like this.
  3. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I would not like to appear in any pictures a stranger is taking. You never know where you may end up. However, if someone asked me for permission I would likely grant it if the person seems reasonable.

Always Be Flying and sobore like this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to avoid taking photos when too many people are around. I like to either be first on board or last off when taking pictures on board.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't take pictures of people without asking, but if I'm taking pictures of something else and people are in the way, what can I do? How many pictures have you taken in your life where there were other unintended people in the background? I'm guessing lots. And I'm guessing you didn't ask every one of them. As long as you don't intend to use these pictures for commercial or nefarious purposes, then most of them probably don't care. And if they do care, then they should be paranoid like crazy given how many people have cameras and cell phones these days.

savydog, Kohoutek and alphaeagle like this.
  6. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least within the US and Canada if you are in a public place you have no legal expectation of privacy in terms of area pictures *. Meaning that if someone is taking a picture of an area or feature and not of people in particular there is little you can do. Now, good pictures to me don't have people in them unless necessary so much like JohnDeere19 I either take them when people aren't around or frame/crop them to remove people from the shot.

* I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I have training (both classroom and on-the-job) in journalism law and ethics.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, nothing worse than browsing the internet and seeing your head on the body of a Hooters girl playing ring toss with Joseph Stalin.

8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    The pictures that upset me the most are the ones when people photograph the gate lice. In that case they are out to get someone in the photo. When you are just taking a sweeping photo to capture the ambiance of the lounge that seems more appropriate if you may happen to capture some people sitting about.

9. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am always careful not to include other people in the photographs on a plane or lounge without asking permission, but where does it end. For example a photograph of a hotel and people are walking past, a picture of a beach and there are some swimmers or surfers etc.
    On the plane or in the lounge most of my photographs are of food so people are not a problem.

Kaanapali, JALPak, Horse and 3 others like this.
  10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a professional videographer/photographer and (at least in the US/Canada) know that you have no rights to privacy if you are in a public place. Now in a lounge or airplane cabin, I would use discretion and tact. Many pictures I have seen taken in premium cabins are from the back of the cabin looking forward and you can not really tell who is in the picture. Also try and be desecrate in picture taking.

I have know through many many work experiences that it is easier to ask forgiveness from someone than to ask their permission if the case does arise that someone has an issue with taking a picture in a lounge/cabin. That being said, sometimes it is better to ask first. You have to use your best judgement.

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is an airplane a public place?

Here's UA's policy:

Onboard photography and video policy
    United Airlines strives to make its customer experience safe and comfortable and accordingly has issued the following policy in regard to the use of personal audio and video equipment onboard its aircraft. This policy is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations.

Customers who bring personal audio and video equipment onboard may only use these items with headsets. Noise-canceling headsets may be activated. The use of still and video cameras, film or digital, including any cellular or other devices that have this capability, is permitted only for recording of personal events. However, photography, audio, or video recording of other customers without their express prior consent is strictly prohibited. Also, unauthorized photography, audio, or video recording of airline personnel, aircraft equipment, or procedures is always prohibited. Any voice, audio, video, or other photography (motion or still), recording, or transmission while on any United Airlines aircraft is strictly prohibited, except to the extent specifically permitted by United Airlines.

Underlining added by me.

Edit: I should add that I have occasionally taken photos onboard UA planes (and other airlines) and some of them may show other passengers even though they weren't the "target" of my shots. Oh, and I have a nice picture of myself sitting at the controls of a UA 747 prior to departure from SFO with one of the pilots next to me. Picture was taken by the second pilot. I guess the policy doesn't apply to them :)

12. Even if not intentionally, the people in backdrop of photos is natural. How can I expect not to include public in a public place photo. Respecting privacy is I do agree with but its an individual's choice to check on with fellow pax before clicking.

Sean Colahan and Chimpy like this.
  13. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    whereas on some airlines (eg AA) can be very difficult to take a photograph.

14. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd never pull out my SLR inside an airplane, though I have used my small compact Canon to get some pictures from time to time, taking care to photograph from behind.

15. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you there, be desecrate. I never pull out my DSLR in a plane, I only use my iPhone.

16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its an interesting topic. But in general, you're in public spaces and therefore should expect exposure.

I'm not going to zoom in and click your face, or that of some celebrity sitting in 3A. But area shots, or the like happen. You really have no recourse there.

17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question now : is an aircraft a public place?

You have paid to fly....does this not constitute something?

18. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not in this country it doesn't. The most they can do legally is require you the photog to be a paid passenger as well.

Same applies to photos in mass transit like the NYC MTA. Against common public belief it is not illegal to take photos there. The biggest thing they can charge you with to require you to stop is if you're not a ticketed passenger while on MTA property.

Same generally applies to the airports.

sobore likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But the question from milchap that you replied to was whether an aircraft was a public place, not an airport. Airports in the US generally allow photography (even TSA does), but it seems from my post above quoting UA's policy that on board the aircraft the airlines can decide what you may do or not do.

20. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Policy may state one thing, but having the legal right to limit it is another. I don't know how it would fall in this case, but I'd be willing to bed that legally it is considered a public place.

21. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then why would UA make such a policy?

22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a policy that you can not smoke in my apartment. Is it illegal to smoke here?

23. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on your lease or condo regs. [​IMG]

24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    They would both be against policy. But against the law? I would imagine not.

Again. I'm not a lawyer and do not know the correct answer. Just going by what I think on this one.

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But if you make that policy, even though it's not legally binding (in the sense that there's a law prohibiting me from smoking in your apartment), you can certainly kick me out of your place if I start smoking. Or are you homeless and your "apartment" is a public park somewhere? ;-)