Taking my first superliner trip this summer booked using points--any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by Silver Springer, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Silver Springer

Silver Springer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi. Last week my husband and I and another couple each booked bedrooms on two superliners--the Sunset Limited and the Coast Starlight for August. We get a bedroom and three meals daily for this 4 day trip which covers two regions. We are going New Orleans to Los Angeles and Los Angeles to Seattle. We used 30.000points a couple--ours from Continental transferred before the end of the year and theirs from Chase Sapphire Preferred. We booked the trip before the rates changed on April 1 to 40,000 points.
    The reservation agent got us adjoining bedrooms so we could open up the wall between the comparments in the daytime.
    Has anyone done these trips and if so, do you have any sggestions?

2. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    a great resource:
    http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/

Also, if you call the main Amtrak number, there's an automated "Hi, I'm Julie" system that gives you arrival and departure information - something useful once you get closer. You'll find all kinds of info on the above site: how much to tip, what to bring, etc. It's basically MP for train lovers.

3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) There isn't much storage space in Superliner bedrooms, but you can store your suitcases down stairs (or check them)

2) Get a route description that gives a mile by mile guide to the lines you'll be covering -- a book I like is called "Rail Ventures", but it may be hard to fine. You may be able to find something on line.

3) I've found the views from the Superliner lounge cars to be much better than from the bed rooms and usually spend the entire day there.

4) Expect to meet people from all over the country and possibly the world and

5) Have fun

DTWBOB

4. Silver Springer

Silver Springer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks
    Thanks so much!

Mr. Silver Springer likes this.