Taking a deeper look at PassBook & travel

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Wandering Aramean, Oct 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will Apple's PassBook really revolutionize the travel experience? Given that the main features it offers - location-aware alerts and push notification - have been available for years, will this actually change things right now? I actually think it will. The ease with which companies can quickly and cheaply deploy mobile technologies will likely see many more deploying things like mobile boarding passes.

Beyond that, I think that it can significantly improve things like FF account tracking. Delta, Southwest and American have all blocked aggregators from tracking accounts on their sites. PassBook lets customers have a single place to look (their PassBook) and still give the airlines control over push notifications and click-through actions. That's a win for everyone, assuming the airlines bother to give it a try.

What say you? Does PassBook make a difference?

Read more:
    http://blog.apex.aero/prepost-flight/apples-passbook-poised-change-airlines-passengers-interact/
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...ok-at-passbook-and-how-travelers-can-benefit/

2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting

My 5 is a little behind schedule, so I won't get it till tomorrow, this is definitely one of the features I'm most excited about.

3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    My 5 (verizon) is also schedule to arrive tomorrow! Must have beat down the riots at that Foxconn factory....

4. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    My 4 (upgraded to iOS 6 with Passbook) worked fine as a mobile boarding pass this past week on a trip with United, but I haven't used it for anything else yet. There is definitely a level of convenience in having everything in that one location with alerts.

Edit: The gate change info it pushed to me made it quite useful. If airlines are using it to notify people of delays as well I would say it's already a great app.

guberif likes this.
  5. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will definitely be interesting to see how this evolves over the next year; I certainly hope we get something that the airlines utilize. God bloody knows I've been more than a tad aggravated over some of the airlines blocking Award Wallet, so I don't necessarily have much hope. They just don't seem to like any outside companies standardizing such things across the board.