Take the Poll: Premier Gold or Premier Platinum for Million Milers?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Which lifetime time Elite Status (% bonus elite RDM) di you believe Million Milers deserve

Poll closed Dec 1, 2012.
  1. Premier Platinum (100%)

51.4%
  2. Premier Gold (50%)

27.0%
  3. Not important to you

13.5%
  1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    ****As we just heard, UA has been sued by a million miler who feels that the creation of the Premier Platinum level has, essentially, robbed him of a significant benefit previously enjoyed by MMs, who were awarded lifetime Premier Exec (now known as Premier Gold) status with *G benefits and, importantly, 100% bonus elite RDM for every eligible flight. With the creation of the Premier Platinum level, the Premier Gold status, which the MMs still get as the benefit for achieving this distinction, now receives only 50% bonus RDM per qualifying flight, with PP and 1K getting 100% bonus elite RDM. The lawsuit argues that the MMs deserve to get 100% RDM as they did before the merger and not 50%, since this represents a considerable dilution of this benefit. Please give your opinion as to whether you agree with the MM, or with a UA exec who said that the "suit is without merit", by taking the poll. You can then contribute to the ongoing discussion here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...ne-for-reduction-of-perks.37060/#post-1412909

UA may be watching, so speak up!

****I have just been reminded that PPs get 75% and not 100% elite bonus. So let's keep the first choice as agreeing that the lawsuit has merit (bump elite bonus to 100%, keeping PG status) and the second choice that it does not have merit (keep PG+50% elite bonus).

2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been pretty well analyzed IHMO in the other thread, but putting on a lawyer hat here, plaintiffs need to show something akin to "promissory estoppel" which is not an easy bar. Will the suit get "Rule 11'ed out", that one is hard to say (I.e. frivolous claim), but I don't think that plaintiff is in any way likely to succeed on the merits. In a court of equity, this seems to me, at least to be too much of a "first world problem".

As I posted in another thread, my advice to my clients if often (which I happened again to give as of the date hereof) just because you can, does not mean you should. Accordingly, I think plaintiff likely fails in the litigation. The way to send the message of displeasure over policy changes is to speak with the wallets just as many of us who were NW PEs did when DL took over.

YMMV

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    gobluetwo and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I think Gold is perfect, complete with the 50% RDM bonus. It gives 2MM+ room to grow with the program, gives some incentive to continue to fly, and yet is a permanent reward for years where one travels less.

FlyingFree, ella, mht_flyer and 3 others like this.
  5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gold is 1million... Want Plat, get 2 million lifetime miles.

At least it's not US Airways, where a million miles gets you Silver...

FlyingFree and desamo like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I made a mistake. I thought that the PPs get 100% elite bonus. So now the question is does the status even matter? UA should just say, when you reach MM, you are PG (sounds so light weight!) status for life and you get 100% elite bonus, unlike the standard PGs.

Who is to say by the time those going for 2 MM reach that milestone, it too would not devalued? The concept of "moving goalposts" is anathema to the concept of loyalty, I think. You make a promise, get people to show loyalty (read: fatten you bottom line) as a result, and then you change the nature of the promised reward?...What's with that?

Fine but keep the elite bonus at 100% for all MMs... No big loss for UA, but kudos from the 1MMs, 2MMs, and nMMs!

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gives you no incentive to hit PP or 1K in any year, though, does it?

All these things are possible, but a nice revenue stream means they're less likely to.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure what you mean, but I have no incentives other than to hit 1K every year, so I was looking to hitting 1K for 10 years straight and becoming a million miler, with all the perks that were there when I started the race...

Nothing wrong with a "revenue stream", and you're probably right that may be the reason why they are not likely to, but it is foolish to forget who feeds the stream to keep it flowing...;)

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck with that -- programs can and do change at any time.

They haven't forgotten. Why do you think they did?

FlyingFree likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hubris...

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, the hubris I've seen has mostly been on the side of the complainers on this. UA's still got a great xMM program.

FlyingFree likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt the latter very much, if it is UA's view that someone who flew 1,000,000 miles in their metal does not deserve something (100% elite bonus) that costs them (UA) nothing but would give real meaning to the word "loyalty". However, YMMV...

goalie likes this.
  13. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the interesting question as to "cost". I would be most interested to see what the "mileage" debit/credit looks like on the UA balance sheet. Outstanding miles are liabilities. Inevitably half of the mess that FFPs are in (think Skypesos) was making too many miles available too easily, and then getting caught with a big liability side of the ledger. It may be very well that they are "not material" as to the books, but it surely costs UA something especially since *Net Blocking has (thankfully) gone the way of the dinosaur.

Yes, no, maybe or then again I might be wrong.;)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell me how many million milers there are and how often they are even still flying, and I will model it for you. I would say that this benefit would be highly insignificant in the scheme of things.

Yes, no, maybe or then again I might be wrong.:D

Gtitan likes this.
  15. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, your point is well taken as I would bet your modeling would show that the RDMs created thereby are probably de minimis. Nonetheless, I know when I used to talk to the folks at NW WP, the elite people never minded giving out EQMs (elites minded it but the WP internal crowd did not). RDMs were a completely different story.

Yes, I am comparing apples to oranges, but throw them in a blender with vodka and still tastes pretty good.;)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget to put the O.J. in the vodka! On that light note, the prosecution just got thirsty and must rest, Counselor.:)

Gtitan likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may not be material in the big picture of tens of millions of mileage plus members, but it certainly would be valuable to me. So purely from a selfish perspective, I'd of course want the 100% as it means fewer flights I'd have to pay cash for.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  18. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Compared to what?

NYCUA1K likes this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is because many elite benefits are a zero sum game among the FFers. There are a fixed number of upgrade seats and EQMs determine who gets them via the priority ordering, but it still costs the airline the same amount of money. More elites can mean slightly longer wait times in elite lines, but unless it gets so bad that the elites complain a lot and the airline is forced to hire more staff,it doesn't matter. However, RDMs are a real cost to the extent that award tickets aren't just seats that otherwise would be empty. This effect has been exacerbated by all of the award tickets onn other alliance partners, which can cost the FF program real money.

desamo and NYCUA1K like this.
  20. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back to the initial question, I say PG.

Why?

Mainly because I know the folks who complain the most loudly about this issue wanted me to say PP, and I'm not inclined to give you what you want. I'm childish that way sometimes.

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airline could just double the RDMs they give to everyone. Then the people who are hurt by the policy would be those who have some previously earned miles, a much larger group than MMers.

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean, you're misplaced?

23. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    MMs and future qualifiers should earn the 100 percent RDM bonus.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  24. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be worse, could be like Delta's MM program.

desamo and NYCUA1K like this.
  25. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm tempted to respond by comparing the new UA MM program to what DL gives at MM and even 2MM.