T-mobile simple choice wifi calling overseas

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by estnet, Apr 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've received 2 different answers:

If I use wifi calling in another country am I charged?

Answer one - no if you call the US, yes if you call anywhere else
    Answer two - no, no charge in any of the 120 countries (eg if I'm in Thailand and call someone in Thailand, or I'm in Thailand and call someone in the UK)
    Has anyone done this and had experience with which answer is correct?

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're really calling via a Wi-Fi connection, your call goes through the internet. You're not roaming, i.e. have no connection to a local cell tower. I haven't tried it myself yet, but can't imagine what T-Mobile would possibly charge you for in the absence of roaming.

If your phone inadvertently does go into roaming, then you'll be charged for incoming (and outgoing) calls and messages, even if you don't pick them up.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, calling on wifi from the phone (with data off) is like calling with skype? - but then how come some plans charge minutes against your plan for calling from wifi not on the cell network?
    Still lobe to hear from someone who's done it and seen their bill.

MX likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course any connection through your provider will count against your minutes. I assumed that you were mostly concerned about your international roaming charges.
    As far as Skype, I think you can connect to it either with WiFi or GPRS data.
    I would also like to hear from someone who's called with T-Mobile from outside the 120 zone.

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're on TMo Simple Choice (the US based plan), you don't get charged for SMS or data while roaming, and calls are only $0.20 USD a minute.

http://www.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-international-plans.html

TMo is pretty awesome if you're outside the US. I spent two weeks in London, Paris and Zurich using 3G data and SMS all over. Net add to my phone bill: $5 for a few phone calls to the United States. :D

Tenmoc and MX like this.
  6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have T-Mobile Simple Choice. When I am overseas I use Skype via wifi to make international long distance calls or even intra-country calls. No special charges have appeared on my T-Mobile bill, since international data roaming is included in the plan.

When I didn't have access to wifi, I just dialed the calls on the roaming network T-Mobile selected. I was charged a flat U.S.$0.20/min. on my T-Mobile bill.

I have only done international calling from Japan, Taiwan and Germany, so nothing outside of the 120 countries included in the plan.

I like this plan because it keeps international charges well under control. So far, no surprises.

MX likes this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay to clarify, yes I know all the above. I do have T-mo simple and know about the free data (which is fantastic) and text in many countries. I also know about the 20 cents a minute. I know about Skype.

My phone has wifi calling, so if I am in a foreign country and turn off data roaming and use the hotel wifi to make a call, here is my question - does this somehow get routed through t-mobile and I am charged for a call? I know that I don't get charged in the US for wifi calling on the phone, but companies used to charge these calls against allowed minutes if I didn't have an unlimited plan - this leads me to,think they are somehow recognized as "different" traffic than other wifi traffic.

So my specific question is- has anyone used the wifi calling with data off and using local wifi to call a non US number not using Skype but the internal phone wifi calling?

8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found this relevant FAQ on the T-Mobile website:
    I take the last sentence to mean that you'll also be charged a standard international rate for the country you're calling, when connected from a non-SG country.

estnet likes this.