T-Mobile offering free data for tablets

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Oct 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    anileze, estnet, theBOAT and 2 others like this.
  2. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have been touting their international data roaming a lot too. Has anybody tried that? I have tried to not take T-Mobile seriously but I agree its becoming harder to ignore them.

anileze and TAHKUCT like this.
  3. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's another thread going by the "other" The BOAT that has gotten reamed by their data roaming charges post-free data coverage... Check it out for details.

theBOAT

anileze likes this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this LTE only or does it include g3? Ie the original iPad.

anileze likes this.
  5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well picked up my new iPad Air today with a Tmobile SIM. Setup was a breeze this evening and got my account all configured and an email confirming I was on the 200MB plan. No CC was needed even. House (in SF Bay Area) only gets 4G though. Hopefully it will find an LTE tower when I am out and about and need to use it.

anileze and iolaire like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Signed up today, even tho verizon told me I couldn't use tmo in my verizon ipad of course they were wrong. bought sim card for $10, tested it picked up the signal - but haven't had a chance to test it yet b/c not sure how much data using it as a gps or for skype would use and I was out and about all day. Will try it later, but free is the right price. They told me when the data is used up it just stops, no overage charge unless u sign up for a plan.

anileze, adambadam and iolaire like this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never got a confirming email, but today said it was 3g and used up half the 200mg by mistakenly downloading 100 or less old emails (no pics) :(

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. u600213
    Original Member

u600213 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because I rarely used my 2GB of data from AT&T on my original first generation iPad, I got the new iPad Air with a T-Mobile sim to get the free 200MB per month thinking that I can pay for a day here and there once using the 200MB if I need it.

I like the iPad Air. It is noticeably lighter. Browsing on graphics rich pages is notably faster. But I barely get a 4G T-Mobile signal in my residence. Full bars for T-Mobile Edge and no LTE at all. In contrast, I got full bars of AT&T LTE.That's ok since I have WiFi throughout the house but may be an ill portent for T-Mobile when I travel. We'll see. If so, I will get an AT&T sim.

However the biggest issue I have with the new iPad is actually an IOS 7 issue. The Original iPad was on IOS5 which I prefer for its look, but that aside, the shift key on the virtual keyboard sucks. Details in this Apple forum:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5349833

I started to type this in the MP app on the new iPad and gave up and switched to my laptop. The shift key has to be held down for a long time to "take" and interrupts my typing. It was too time consuming to go back and fix the non-capitalized beginnings of sentences.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see this issue on my Mini on 7.0.3.

11. Smilee
    Original Member

Smilee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello. Sign up was not quite as easy for me. If you are using an apple, I believe it will be pretty easy, as I think (but could be wrong) apple controls all the models of Ipads, and does not release a subset of the product.

I went to Fry's and purchased an unlocked Galaxy Tab 3 7inch. Unfortunately, I learned the only Galaxy Tab S3 models that work are the locked T-Mobile Tab 3 (model number SM217T) I purchased a Fry's Galaxy Tab 3 7inch model number SM211. Went to T-Mobile and purchased a SIM - wouldn't work. Spent a while on the phone, talked to a good agent who said, the specific model number has to match, and Fry's, Best Buy etc. that sell the unlocked version have different model numbers. Went to T-Mobile purchase a Galaxy Tab 3, and SIM, plugged in the SIM and it worked right away.

NOW here is the kicker. As I leave the T-Mobile agent says, your lifetime 200mb account, will work for the lifetime of the tablet, BUT the account SIM will end in 1 year UNLESS you pay to top up to keep it active. So it is ONLY 1 YEAR free, then after that you need to somehow keep the SIM and account active (yes you will still get the 200mb but need to keep it active) and I have not figured that out.

If anyone has any further information I would love to hear about it. The plan really works perfectly for me as I get WiFi about 95% of the time I need it and the 200mb will sort of fill in the rest.