Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  2. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mom is in Daytona right now, and is glad to finally see a launch, albeit from 50 miles away. She sent me this photo a few minutes ago.

[​IMG]

Spangenberg and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exciting but sad at the same time.

Spangenberg likes this.
  4. 2lovelife
    Original Member

2lovelife Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally an end to this insane waste of taxpayer dollars.

If you feel sentimental, you could always sponsor some fundraising for the next launch. Lots of millionaires that would love to see an extension of spending. :D

Spangenberg likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The financial benefits to the country from all the work NASA has done FAR outweigh the costs. The only think is, private companies were able to capitalize on so much of it, so there wasn't a direct visible payback.
    NASA has filed over 6,300 patents. Among the things we have because of the space program are:
    1. invisible braces
    2. scratch resistant lenses (my eyeglasses)
    3. memory foam (Tempurpedic mattresses, hospital beds, motorcycle seats...)
    4. ear thermometer (babies really appreciate this)
    5. insoles (running shoes, how many people have less shin splints because of this?)
    6. Long-distance Telecommunications (satellites, GPS)
    7. Adjustable Smoke Detector
    8. Safety Grooving (roads, airport tarmacs-makes driving cars and landing airplanes safer)
    9. cordless tools (I use them almost every day)
    10. water filters (I have well water, so I have several of these in my house)
    I hope you'll rethink your snap judgment. We need to extend the work of NASA, not curtail it.

Spangenberg likes this.
  6. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing. I think there are two launches in the shuttle program no? But this was the last for Discovery?

7. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I heard. I know this is the last for Discovery, and I think Atlantis and Endeavor each have one left as well.

I wonder what kind of lobbying will be going on in Congress for where the shuttles will be on display after the program is over. I think the Enterprise is at the U-H at IAD if I recall.

8. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone, I posted in the Community Lounge thread, but thought I would post it here since it seems like not everyone saw this youtube video yet. Someone actually took a video of the Discovery launch from the window of an airplane flying near the launch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE_USPTmYXM

I also saw the last launch of the Discovery several days ago while in MCO, outside my conference center about 50 miles from the launch. It was my first time seeing it and it was amazing, the fire burst and eventual smoke trail.

It sounds like passengers on that airplane had a once in a lifetime view of this. In fact, I think I even saw this airplane where the passenger took the video, since I saw at least two airplanes flying around the time of the launch.

9. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad for the last flight of a truly amazing aircraft.

Happy for the endless wasted of taxpayer dollars. It's hard to support a department that has never come in under budget and has had multiple delays. As far as patents go, maybe more of that money can be funneled to the NSF and other research arms.

Either way, the space shuttle is always an amazing feat to experience.