T-1 at SFO opens June 7 for business

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfogate, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    We start operating some flights from T-1 starting June 7.

There will be no ticket count and no checked bag service and no baggage claim area at this time.

If you require check-in service or checked bag service you will do this at T-3. You will also be using T-3 for TSA security screening and then walking to either Gate 92 or Gate 87A for shuttle bus service to T-1. Bus begin operating at 5am til 11pm and will run every 5 minutes.

If you arrive into T-1 and had your bag checked to SFO, you will claim your bag in T-3.

If you do on-line check in and print your boarding pass you can proceed to T-1 directly. You can tell that your flight is departing from T-1 if your boarding pass reads Gate 92A ( or B,C,D,E,F).

HeathrowGuy, kwai, meFIRST and 10 others like this.
  2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is pretty cool!!! Flying US to United in August and will be nice not to have to
    clear security!

3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If proceeding directly to T-1 (i.e. OLCI and no checked bags), is there an elite security line and if yes, will UA's elite status be recognized?

Do you know/think the TSO's have been properly briefed so that you don't get something along the lines of "UA is at T-3 and you need to go thru security over there and take the bus". The reason I ask this one is that we all kow "intelligent some TSO's are" ;)

Does this new set-up change the MCT for SFO?

You say some flights so it is not all, right? The reason I ask is that I did a random search on today's SFO-LAX flights and it showed all of them departing from T-3 with a T-3 gate assignment and will there be gate changes which are actually terminal changes? That can get ugly really fast if a flight scheduled to go out of say T-3 gate 72 which could change to T-3 gate 86 changes to T-1.

How is this going to impact the 2 late evening flights LAX-SFO which arrive after 11pm and midnight respectively?

How is this going to impact dedicated LAX-SFO-Transpac flights where pax now have to allow extra time to take the bus?

Just throwing these things out because in many situations like this where a fix is needed, some people don't see the big picture-not saying this is the case but just throwing this out there :)

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is completely asinine.

They increased it to 45 minutes, for D : D, I believe.

downhillcrasher and EWR764 like this.
  5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

Did they show gate 92A (B, C, D, ...) ?

ok, I will look. I didn't look at every one, but the SFO-LAX flights I did look at were all leaving from real T3 gates (75, 83, etc).

Though take a look at flight status for UA252 SFO-SNA for today, June 7. It departed SFO from 92D, which apparently means it's a T1 flight. The busses depart from 87A and 92 apparently.

-David

6. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    My bad regarding SFO-LAX and vv as they are staying in T3 and it appears that this is for flights to from SAN, LAS, SNA, ONT, BUR & SBA but my earlier questions 'n comments remain

7. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    The minimum connecting time from T-1 to T-3 has been increased to 45 minutes.
    T-1 will only have some flights to certain cites.
    I do not know if there is an Elite TSA security line in T-1, at this time.
    Yes, everyone is aware of the potental issues of gate changes, etc and the possible snafus. But it is what it is until T-3 old AA space is completed. The reality of UA at SFO is we have increased the number of daily flights and have no room for this expansion without using T-1.
    It is my understanding that we will be adding baggage service/carousel use in T-1 in July, which is of course subject to change. The powers to be do not want to add lobby service due to the massive confusion of the general public seeing signs at T-1 and using T-1 to check-in for all flights.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume you mean for departures. But the inbound aircraft could theoretically come from anywhere, so any arriving flight (probably restricted to certain aircraft types) could end up going into T1 if the next flight for that aircraft is to one of those cities, right?

Sufficient signage and announcements will be key to minimizing the confusion.

9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday they had signage on the T1 wall for the bus area to baggage claim and T3 connections down the old CO pier (I think across/near the sports bar).

10. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this because UAL is out of gate space?

Yes, I agree is stupid. No check in/ ticket counter/ lounge.... egad. Someone please recall the changes we like thread?

p.s thanks for the info.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, which is a good problem to have in a way.

I actually think that not having check-in counters in T1 and keeping that centrally in T3 makes sense. It would likely confuse infrequent travelers even more. And it creates a need to train cab drivers, shuttle drivers etc. Recently I was flying from SAN, and the Hertz driver asked what airline I was flying. I said United and he asked for my destination. Only later did I realize that some United flights (presumably operated by CO aircraft) still depart from Terminal 2.

12. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't T-1 have multiple piers, each with their own security? Which pier is it? E.g. AS & WN have gates in the 20's (and a small BR).

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can understand no counter services at T-1, but it seems like installing a kiosk or two there might be helpful.

Seacarl likes this.
  15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or no roadway signage, but 1 or 2 counter employees plus some kiosks

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But then you need to have airserv bag handling + baggage handling down in the bowels + ... too, no? If the buses really go every five minutes, I think it's not a big deal for folks starting their trip at SFO. Changing planes with tight connections or picking someone up or just getting your checked baggage on arrive seems more of a concern.

17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do the buses every really go every 5 mins? Also gate 87A is at the very far end of the longest concourse, and it's a pretty good drive across the tarmac all the way around. But I agree there's more and more to provide lobby service and bag claim. How long is it going to take to get the 60's pier remodeled? It doesn't look like they are working very fast.

18. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    The gates we are using are the former Continental gates, 32-36 and later we will expand by adding gates 24-25, I believe. Anyway this is the same pier that Southwest and US Air use.

19. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts on the kiosks are that you've got them to accommodate someone who just needs a boarding pass printed. No bag checks unless you check in at T-3, but at least with a kiosk or two someone who did OLCI can print a replacement boarding pass if they discover they've left the one printed at home on their printer. And, it would accommodate mobile app users who arrive to find the TSA saying "Sorry, our scanner broke this morning. Go to the ticket counter and get a printed copy." A kiosk that a UA employee checks in on once or twice a day to restock paper wouldn't be a huge investment or commitment of resources. They already have unattended kiosks scattered about in hubs around the system anyway, so it's not like this is a new thing.

20. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alaska uses gates 20-22-24 and have a BR between 22-24. I think Priority Pass is accepted.

21. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    The buses drive thru, around and under the buildings and are scheduled to leave every 5 minutes.

The old AA building is not being worked on at this time but contruction will start up again shortly.

22. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO has a bunch of "all-airline" kiosks scattered around the airport. I'd be surprised if there weren't a handful in T1.

I frequently use the "all-airline" kiosk just outside of BART to print a TP UA BP. Coming from BARt, it's just before the International G gate security.

23. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm just happy the World's Leading Airline is so successful at my little hub to the world.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So they say. Proof's in the pudding, of course.

I wonder why they don't use the same "bus stop" as before when they connected US and UA via buses. Wasn't that right next to the Yankee Pier restaurant right after security? (of course, for someone coming *off* the bus and connecting to a UA flight from T3 gate 87 might actually be convenient). I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they thought this through. We can all yell later if/when it turns into a problem :)

25. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a good diagram/info abou the T1 gates in this FT post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18712289-post143.html

If you arrive in T1 and have the need to be in T3 for whatever reason (connecting flight, bags, meet somebody, just because you want to) just take the bus back to T3/87A.

I wonder what the algorithm is when deciding to assign 87A vs 92A, ... to a bp. It's quite a difference to those that aren't familiar with the setup at SFO.

-David