System-Wide Upgrade question

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Steven Schwartz, Jul 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all-

This is a bit new to me. Delta Platinum and I have four system-wide upgrades. Going to Israel next May and was planning on using a British Airways companion ticket for Business or First but this popped up and seemed promising.

From what I read on The Points Guy today, SWUs can be used for Fare Classes Y B M H Q K. Looking at ExpertFlyer for the dates we want (and dates a day before and after), they report that there are more than 9 K class tickets available on the non-stops. Great. Then look at the ExpertFlyer fare info and it says that the K fare is $789 - less than the BA charges!

Called Delta to see if we can do this and was told the lowest upgradable fare was over $3,000 per ticket. What am I doing wrong or what don't I know. I decided to politely hang up and try to get info from this board. Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

2. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be able to use an SWU on an international ticket you must have a fare class of M, B or Y. The lower fare classes-K,H & Q (in addition to M, B Y) can be used for domestic upgrades.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Typically, this would mean that one needs to find out for sure what is the lowest SWUable fare class, and for DL that would seem to be M. Y/B also are SWUable...

http://cwsi.net/delta.htm

I should add that this is important only for intl travel, as nearly all fare classes are generally SWUable for domestic travel.

4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    That explains it. Thanks all.

DeltaExpert, USAF_Pride and jrp2 like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nearly all is overstating it. I'd venture that the majority of tickets sold by delta are LUTE fares which are not upgradeable.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, I come from the UA world where what I'd stated is unquestionably true, but I'd also provided a link to a site that lists DL fare classes that are upgradable for domestic travel, which seems to support my appropriately qualified statement...

7. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found the most success of using DL's SWUs on Air France. Just buy the Premium Voyageur(S&W fare class) and upgrade it to AF Business with the SWU.

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The link is great for reference, of course, but clear as mud in a lot of ways. It also does not list domestic swu-upgradeable fare classes, or indeed provide and indications that I can see regarding domestic swu usage.

You most certainly do need to pay attention to fare classes, especially if purchasing more than a week or two in advance. I do not see any qualification provided with your statement that "this is only important for international travel" and "nearly all fare classes are upgradeable domestically" when neither is remotely true (well almost everything is "upgrade eligible," but only for complimentary upgrades which are not the subject of this diacussion)on delta. 4 out of 9 coach revenue buckets are not eligible, and these are the fares most people book most of the time.

There's no shame in admitting when you get details of an unfamiliar program wrong. There's certainly much of US's program that would baffle me. Why try to "defend" incorrect statements?

daemon14 and USAF_Pride like this.
  9. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the future, it may cause less confusion if you look up the SWU's T&C on DL's site. They are listed under your Profile. As you have found out, 3rd party websites do not always have 100% accurate information.

Welcome to MP!!

mattsteg and rwoman like this.
  10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    International Y B M
    Domestic Y B M H Q K

I think they're useless for international, but probably useful for some domestic routes like LAX-JFK, or LAX-ATL on elite-heavy days (or to make sure you get upgraded on B77L/A332 flights :))

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    They can be useful if you're frequently buying (or are willing to buy up to) k fares on competitive routes, or to hawaii, or if you're spending OPM on M fares internationally. Certainly not on-par with competitive instruments.

12. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if you have a M and up fare for international or K and up fare for domestic, if the SWU upgrade bucket (G for domestic and Z for international) has no availability, you still can't upgrade. You can be waitlisted I believe, but at that point you're just playing upgrade roulette and potentially stuck in coach with a really expensive (M+) fare.

13. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    To end all the back and forth, here is what DELTA's website says (please stop relying on 3rd party websites!!). The red, orange, and blue highlighting is mine. It doesn't matter what any other website says about whatever fare classes may be available as you more than likely will not see any of those fare classes!!!

Delta is very clear on how to use these as summarized at the top and by item 7 of the T&C. It also clearly states that just because you book those fare classes, you need fare classes: G/Z (DL), O/Z(KL), W/S(AF) to also be open to use the SWU.

For the sake of clarity, please remove all 3rd party website information upthread of this as it is just going to be confusing to anyone else.

Link

mattsteg likes this.
  14. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're not useless for international if doing TATL upgrades from DL W fares on AF metal to O. Upgrade inventory is pretty generous, and the W fares aren't too bad.

15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, AF metal is workable for TATL. SWUs that are nearly useless on own-metal are their own kind of bizarro.

mtkeller likes this.