SyncAssist: Making AmEx Sync easy

Discussion in 'Wandering Aramean Travel Tools' started by Wandering Aramean, Apr 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know there are a bunch of folks who love the American Express Sync promos. Getting a statement credit for making purchases you would’ve made anyways is a great way to save a bit of money and it is essentially free. Except for the time to keep track of what promos are available and make sure that you’re registered and such. Plus, what if you have multiple AmEx cards? Do you really want to manage multiple Twitter accounts to register all of them for every promo. And do you want to be filling your feed with this stuff rather than photos of your meals or other, useful tweets? I have never signed up for Sync for all the reasons above. It just wasn’t worth the energy to me. But I’ve been thinking about it a bit lately and wondered if there was a better way to interact with the platform, an assistant that could make registration and managing accounts easier. Welcome to SyncAssist.

[​IMG]

The concept is pretty simple: You link your Twitter account to SnycAssist once. From there the system takes over, monitoring the AmEx feed for which promos are active and making sure to register you for them. It sends out the tweets on your behalf and AmEx recognizes them, acknowledging the registration for each offer.

[​IMG]
    I never see your Twitter password; it is all handled by the oAuth system and you control access.

[​IMG]
    Just relax; you’re registered and the registrations are coming.

Once the system does a sweep (happens every 10 minutes or so, subject to change) you’ll start to see the tweets fill up on your timeline. The initial seed will have a bunch of AmEx Sync tweets because there are a bunch available. As time goes on, however, it should only be one or two at a time since you’ll always be current with whatever is available. Here’s one from a test account showing what happens if you have not yet set up a sync account with AmEx:

Gimme some #AmexPetValu powered by @SyncAssisthttp://t.co/SKiLndllQS

— WATT Tester (@WATTTester1) April 13, 2014

There are also messages like this one if the promo is maxed out, though hopefully none of the users here will ever see it again:

@WATTTester1 Sorry, max # of Card Members have enrolled in #AmexStaples offer. Visit http://t.co/HtYFeJDOiM for more offers

— Amex Offers (@AmexOffers) April 13, 2014

And, once the system has started tweeting for you it will also keep a cached copy of all the tweets so you can quickly go back and verify that you’ve registered for one (click the time/date to link to the full conversation on Twitter showing AmEx’s response, too).

[​IMG]

All registered users of the Wandering Aramean Travel Tools site can link a single Twitter account to SyncAssist. If you don’t want to bother your regular followers with Sync tweets this is a good time to set up a second Twitter account, link it to your AmEx and SyncAssist and mostly forget about it. If you have multiple AmEx cards and want to manage all of them via SyncAssist that is also possible, so long as you are a First Class member on the site. The link at the top to “Register a different Twitter account with SyncAssist” will allow for multiple Twitter accounts if you’re a First Class member. If you’re not it will replace the currently registered account with the new one. If you’ve got a bunch of AmEx cards and Twitter accounts this is an easy way to make sure they’re all registered all the time.

And, of course, there’s always the option to remove access from SyncAssist. Simply click the Delink link. That will remove the authorization from my side. It will also provide you a link to revoke access from the Twitter side. Or you can just do it from the Twitter side and SyncAssist will stop trying next time it goes through the list of promos.

I’ve done a bunch of testing and had help debugging from a number of users as well. And I think everything is running smoothly. Of course, that’s always subject to discovery of new bugs (feel free to report them below). So, give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

The post SyncAssist: Making AmEx Sync easy appeared first on Wandering Aramean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Related Stories

Continue reading...

IDGflygirl and miles and smiles like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A new offer was added at 10:29am CDT this morning (Diesel $50 off $150). By 11:00am CDT more than 100 users of SyncAssist were auto-registered for the promo.

[​IMG]

I love it when a plan comes together. :D :cool:

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I managed to register the same twitter account twice, when trying to set up another.

Does the delink button delink all twitter accounts registered?

Thanks,
    David

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That part of the app needs a little work. I actually does them one at a time, assuming you're a First Class member of the site so able to link multiple accounts. I need to set up a system to show which accounts are linked and how to de-link specific ones by choice. I can try to work on that today.

I manually updated your account; you now have 3 registered. And you are correct that you double-registered the first one again today.

5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!

-David

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This should be working now. At the top of the default page you should see a set of links with each of your linked twitter accounts by name and the ability to remove it from the system.

I haven't built the logic to prevent you from signing up the same account twice yet but at least now you can see it and remove one of them yourself. Note that the process to fill in the names also runs on a schedule, not real-time, so there will be a lag between when you add an account and when it shows up in the list but I've seeded it with all the currently registered accounts to date.

SyncAssist-Username.PNG

LIH Prem likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, it seems that I pissed someone off. Working on getting it reactivated ASAP, but it is offline right now. :(