Sydney - Westin or Sheraton?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by philatravelgirl, Aug 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Sydney Westin but not the Sheraton - both are available with points and the Sheraton also has P&C for my stay - which is a better hotel, location, service in your opinion? Was surprised that Westin points lower than Sheraton wasn't sure why- thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Westin and Sheraton are both quite nice - I was there last year. Got a suite upgrade at both. The Westin was more modern and a tad more luxurious but the Sheraton was very traditionally lux and "comfortable". I liked the Sheraton location near the metro and many sights. Sheraton club was better - esp at happy hour with heavy appetizers. We didn't eat a full dinner later a couple of nights :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton hands down if you have lounge access.

As mentioned before, lounge is great and I didn't eat dinner but once out (had to try his kangaroo thing, just don't tell my daughters :))

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to mention its really nice to sit at the lounge at sunset and watch the park and cathedral as well as jog in the park just downstairs.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have tried both also. I'd choose the Sheraton if I expected to have spare time and could use the lounge, for the reasons listed.
    Otherwise I'd choose the Westin because the rooms are slightly more to my taste.
    It is IMO just as ballardFlyer says.

You really cannot make a mistake with either one of them.

6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would choose the Sheraton. The Westin is more a "any city center" type hotel. The Sheraton is overlooking the park. Although I was only gold at the time and no lounge/etc, they still were very nice, took good care of us and got us in a room after not too much of a wait from our early landing.

Plus being on the park, you'll have bus access if you don't want to walk right in front heading to Circular Quay. Only thing I'd give to the Westin is if you're walking from the west up the hill the Westin is a couple blocks less up the hill. But I would choose the Sheraton every time.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. philatravelgirl

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone! I'm just gold so not sure I'd get upgrade to club/lounge but seems Sheraton is the way to go - I'm there for a week or so to explore the city with rest of trip in MEL and Hobart

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    One more vote for SOTP. I stayed there as a Gold and was given a Club room. If they do not upgrade you, you can also ask if you can use points to upgrade your room to a club level. As a Cat 5 hotel and depending on when you go, its 1500 points/night or 2750 during peak season dates (11/1/2013 - 12/14/2013; 2/1/2014 - 3/31/2014).

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're there for a week, try both. They're within walking distance of each other.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. philatravelgirl

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone - by the time I got the award ticket sorted and booked with dates - the Sheraton P&C was gone so I booked at the Westin. Will try Sheraton next time

Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.