Sydney, Australia

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Cochiti, Nov 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Cochiti

Cochiti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone compare BF and F on UA on this route?

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Bump for help. (Moved from another forum)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    genemk2 likes this.
  3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The UA Global First seat is a bit better than the BF seats; they're all in the nose of the main deck whereas the upper deck has all BF seating. The catering is slightly better in GF but only slightly. If you've never done it and the miles delta isn't large, it's not a bad way to go. No way I would personally buy a revenue GF ticket, though there is no way I'd be able to afford such a thing in the first place. :)

Cochiti and genemk2 like this.
  4. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're going with miles I would shell out for GF. I'm not really a big fan of the three class business seat.

Sent from a reasonably priced car.

Cochiti likes this.
  5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Believe the only difference in the catering is the addition of soup. You're also more or less guaranteed your first entree choice.

You'll also get access to the IFL lounge instead of the regular UC. Amenity kit is slightly nicer in F.

With all that being said you're paying for the bigger/nicer seat.

Cochiti likes this.
  6. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The main difference on UA is the hard product with the UA GF seat being larger and more comfortable. Service will be the usual UA international service. The inflight amenities and food will be similar.

If you can score an award in F to Australia via Asia, carriers like SQ, NH, and TG offer an outstanding F product. Another option would be Air New Zealand Business class whether paid or award, but an NZ award is difficult to obtain.

Cochiti likes this.
  7. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The single biggest difference is the seat. While only marginally larger, there is additional storage at the actual seat in addition to the overhead. In my opinion, the biggest benefit is that each of the window seats are single config...no one crawling over you or you crawling over anyone. The six "middle seats likewise are single, with a clear divider between yourself and the person adjacent to you.

Amenity kit is better and food is no different to BF.

There is no GF lounge in Sydney, so if that is a determining factor please note.

Ultimately it's not THAT much better than BF, with the exception you have more privacy from other pax.

Cochiti likes this.
  8. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're going to spend the miles for F, I would highly recommend chitownflyer's suggestion of investigating some of the other *A carriers that go to SYD, such as OZ, TG, and SQ. Adding that connection to your journey means that you might arrive in Sydney at a more reasonable time of day -- rather than dawn -- and you will get better product and service for your miles. TG is very generous with F award space on BKK-SYD and OZ's J product looks acceptable on ICN-SYD.

Cochiti likes this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having the same decision a few months ago for SFO-FRA, in a 747, I agree with the other assessments about C vs. F. The mileage difference is very small, and there's more privacy in F over C. I would go for F.

On the off-topic parts about other carriers, that will have to boil down to where you're flying from and how bad you want a premium experience on a flight that you'll want to sleep for awhile.

Cochiti likes this.