SYD-AKL blocked for redemption in July and August?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by otarustan, Aug 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. otarustan

otarustan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have tried to redeem a reward ticket between Sydney Australia and Auckland New Zealand in July next year. However, it seems that NZ blocks the route for UA mileage award redemption so far. I am wondering if NZ always blocks the route for award tickets between in these two months every year. If so, I may need to consider another itinerary. Thank you in advance!

Newscience likes this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are looking for business class then forget it on NZ. The only routes they make available for business class awards are AKL-PVG, and to a lesser extent AKL-NRT and even less often AKL-SIN. That is it.

Economy awards are slightly easier to come by, but still not that freely available.

Having said that, there are lots of airlines flying between Australia & NZ so paid fares are generally low.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. otarustan

otarustan Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks a lot for the reply! Indeed, NZ seems to block the business class on most of its flights. I just realized that it even blocks economy seats between SYD-AKL from June 30 to July 24. :(