SWU seat availability

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by krkxAAHH, Jul 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. krkxAAHH

krkxAAHH Active Member

Status Points:
    I recently used some SWU's for an international trip that I'm taking in October. The EXP desk informed me that I was wait-listed, but that they should clear, because the trip is almost three months away. What is the best method for seeing the number of seats on a flight that are available for an SWU upgrade?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aktchi and jbcarioca like this.
  3. krkxAAHH

krkxAAHH Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information; I signed up for the 5-day free trial.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    When using ExpertFlyer to find availability it is usually wise not to tell the EXP desk about it. I have mentioned my source a couple of times and instantly regretted it because the agent assured me such data was nit publicly available. The CK number is populated by better informed people as a general rule. BTW the inventory is the same for other one class upgrades from using mileage (not the stickers however, or so it seems) so if you're using miles EF works well also.

Aktchi likes this.
  5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know whether or not EF is doing something they "should not" in AA's opinion, but it is just human nature that AAgents should think of themselves as experts who are there to help us. So they don't want us to know more about the flights, rules, inventory etc., and lead them! I credit Gary (gleff) with sensitizing me, via repeated emphasis in his various talks, to this aspect of communication with any phone agent.

It is tempting to show off what we know from EF or AwardNexus, but we have to remember not to say: "I know 4 seats are available on AA## on 3/17. I want one of those." Instead: "I was talking to another agent yesterday and she said AA## on 3/17 was available; could you please check if that is still the case?" or "The morning of 3/17 is also convenient for me, could we look into that?"

estnet likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that the AA data is licensed and accessed with the full knowledge of AA's back-office folks. That doesn't mean res agents know about the arrangement, however.

estnet and Aktchi like this.
  7. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense.

We were able to see sticker upgrade inventory 24 hours out until those back-office folks decided to nix that. I miss being able to check that before a confirmed flight change.

Aktchi likes this.
  8. krkxAAHH

krkxAAHH Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all for your input. I subscribe to the approach of speaking with the AAgents farmed with information, and then ask leading questions. Does anyone know if 500 mile "stickers" are transferable between AAdvantage accounts? I would like to transfer some "surplus" stickers to someone to use on an upcoming trip.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure they're not - if so I'd like to be corrected.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You won't be. ;)

Stickers can be used on companions who are traveling with you, but not transferred to different accounts.

JonNYC and jbcarioca like this.