SWU extension this year?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by thegrailer, Jan 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am starting to feel like a noob again but rather than create a record by calling the 1K desk, I was wondering if anyone has tried to extend the expiration date for SWUs this year? Any magic word to use? I have something brewing for Feb with NC space available and would really like to use some of my expiring SWUs rather than ''next" year's SWUs.

Cheers -

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just call MileagePlus and they will extend 1 SWU as a Courtesy.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. FF100

FF100 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They agreed to apply two expiring SWU;s to next months flights.

NYCUA1K and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  5. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. I called first to request an extension on a single SWU which was denied. Called back with a Feb PNR number and they extended two! Really happy with this--sounds like a win-win situation... they know I'm not selling my SWUs or whatever, and I get two extended.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made a similar request a week and half ago and it was declined after the 'supervisor' checked and came back to say that they have not yet been authorized to extend any SWUs. She suggested that I check back toward the end of January, which is about now, so I will give it a shot. I applied a couple of CR-1s for a JFK-LAX Feb 9-11 trip on p.s., one of which (the outbound) has already cleared. I will see if they can now substitute the second CR-1 that has not yet cleared with the expiring SWU.

7. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My dad and I did a mileage jog DEN-SFO-JFK-SFO-SEA-DEN, used the SWUs expiring in a couple days to do p.s. Both ways, well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was told today that they're willing to extend expiring SWUs 1 month (to end of Feb). 1K agent thought they weren't doing anything, but happily connected me to the MP service center, who did that for me.

Actually, I hung up while me and the 1K agent were on hold for the service center (had a meeting to go to), and upon calling back found out that they nevertheless got extended. Gotta love it when the 1K desk is as awesome as it is.

Then again, like with all things, I suppose YMMV.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too had a MP "supervisor" agree to extend my one expiring SWU to the end Feb, which, fortunately, I could immediately apply to try to upgrade a p.s. flight in a couple of weeks in lieu of an RPU that I had initially put down.

10. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a cheapo W fare to Dublin that I didn't really need for next month, so hopefully my continued success at clearing on the CO 777 EWR-FRA will continue.