SWU expiration question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mht_flyer, Aug 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well even with all the rumors today about next years MP, something good did happen for me, I got my 6 SWUs deposited and my additional 2 regionals.

Question - the SWUs expire 8/31/12, does this simply mean I can't redeem them after that date or does it mean I can't apply it to a reservation made prior for a later date, say 10/1/12?

Thanks all!

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    They cannot be used on flight segments departing after 8/31/2012.

Note that many people who e-mailed United about this change (SWUs have not always deposited immediately) were told that around 12/2011 or 1/2012, you'll be able to write in and ask for your SWUs to be extended until 12/2012 or 1/2013. If you manage to get your SWUs extended, then they'll have to be used on travel dates before the new expiration date.

mht_flyer likes this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mherdeg, thanks for the info.

Hopefully they'll let me extend them as well.

I will most certainly though be actively trying to use them.

I've already used one regional and have used on SWU on CO ewr-hnl business first route -- of course that one I am waitlisted :(

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also another quick question, I noticed a post not so long ago that UA folks can use regionals on CO metal.

How about CO regionals on UA metal, I have two return flights on a co resv that are on UA metal but the upgrade reservation just says online upgrade unavailable.

I assume I have to call CO or UA?

Thanks all!