SWU / eVIP's, anyone willing?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by malikguy, Jan 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to hit EXP this year and I'm going all out with the Int'l trips. Got trips booked to Madrid, Barcelona and Zurich so far. Is it worth using SWU's or eVIP's on these trips because I'm booked MCE on 763's and from what I understand First/Business is the same as domestic. :oops:

Thoughts please?

Kalboz, jmjgp12 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The 763s used on international routes do NOT feature domestic First seats. They are equipped with the same business class seat you'd find on AA's 772s. They don't have built in IFE like the 772s, but customers are provided with Samsung tablets instead.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    More important to me - are they lie flat? I think seat guru says yes

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  4. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are slanted biz seats..

5. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very cool, with that being said, I have a flight booked non-stop from DFW to MAD on Feb 22 coming back on the 25th. Is there anyone willing to gift me an SWU? I will forever be in your debt! ;)

On another note, EF shows 0 for C in both directions and I'm curious if more of that inventory just hasn't been released yet?

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA occasionally releases seats between loading the flight and departure. Lately it seems many people have experienced AA holding back upgrade inventory until just prior to departure. That being said, despite waitlisting my SWUs on numerous occasions, even for non-status friends I was sponsoring, they've almost always cleared.

The one time I didn't clear a request was when I requested it only a few days prior to departure.

jbcarioca and malikguy like this.
  7. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. So I believe and SWU is still in order then! :D

Do you have any additional information on LFBU's for Int'l flights? Are they rare for this route?

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think they're technically LFBUs when it's an international route, but I know what you're saying.

I don't have personal experience with MAD, BCN, or ZRH on AA metal, so I cannot give my thoughts on the frequency. If you want to know about NRT or LHR, that's another story.

jbcarioca and malikguy like this.
  9. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past I have used an SWU on just a domestic transcon because I was exhausted and longer trips were not on the horizon. Other times I flew to LHR and even NRT in coach because I wanted to save my SWUs for DEL.

We never have enough SWUs for all the flying we might do, so just figure out which of your planned/potential trips will provide the best use.

OP-UPs are like winning a lottery. I have gotten a few in my flying life, the pinnacle being a DEL-ORD flight, and more would certainly be welcome, but I try not to think too much about them or plan around them.

malikguy and Kalboz like this.
  10. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great thread - as mentioned in previous posts AA offers the angled lie flat business seats on the 763's (which if I have been informed correctly are the same acft used on the HNL routes domestically). I have flown them to and From MAD and DFW and found them to be comfortable - though sometimes due to the angle and the design of the seat you can feel as if you are sliding down the seat when in the fully reclined position. Other than that the only negative I found was that since they are angled they do not offer any storage under the seat (seat shell) in front of you - so shoe storage is interesting. If the seat hits anything on the way to the reclined position it actually will stop until you clear the obstruction.

Other than that the Galaxy Tabs are really a nice feature along with the rest of the AA Flagship service -- IMHO AA's service is quite nice for these types quick intl flights.

11. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    C = 0 is very common in my experience. I've never missed on a wait list though I do tend to pick flights I hope will clear when I can. I get my mileage out of my EF subscription every year and then some. Update: I think I missed a short domestic leg on a trans-atlantic routing once but that's so minor I can't even recall if it's a real memory or not. It might have been a bad dream :)

As someone else said, if your flying pattern means your going to have good opportunity to use more than 8 SWU's you need to be picky but otherwise I'd SWU any of those routes you mentioned.