SWU electronic vs physical documentation question

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by seaflyer, Nov 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Question for folks who know all of the rules on using SWU certificates:

I just completed an ATL-JNB flight and requested weeks prior to use a SWU. It was a certificate that expired after reservations were made, but prior to the flight. The DL agent used the cert to add me on the wait list and the cert no longer showed as 'open' online. When I got to atl, however, the agent asked I verify the cert, which I never have had a paper copy of, and I no longer had access to the details online and unfortunately I didn't think to write it down. I ended using another cert that expires next year, effectively using two SWUs. I'm not quite sure what happened here. Was the original agent wrong to apply an expired SWU? or was the problem that i need to make sure that I always write down the cert numbers? When I called DL, the agent said that you should never be asked for the physic cert information once the cert has been applied electronically, so is this a systems issue! I'm trying to figure out what I need to make this smoother in the future - I think the atl-jnb is the best use for me of these SWUs. Thank you!

2. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Found out my answer - if you are not upgraded prior to the day of departure and your SWU expires between the time that the upgrade was requested and the date of departure, it will be removed from your reservation and you will need to apply a new, non-expired certificate upon check-in for the op-up. Seems a bit odd to make the distinction between pre-day of departure and same-day upgrades, but mystery solved.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the plus side, at least DL lets you apply the SWU for a travel date after its expiry. Neither UA nor AA allow that AFAIK. Still sucks that they hit you a second time if you only clear day of departure though.

seaflyer likes this.
  4. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the trick is, your ticket has to be reissued prior to the SWU expiration date. You have to stay on top of that, because sometimes Delta won't be in any hurry to reissue your ticket after successful application of an SWU.

David

seaflyer likes this.