Switching upgrade instruments on the new United?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pat+, Mar 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since GPUs now expire before the end of the calendar year :mad: does anyone have any experience with upgrading with miles and eventually switching to a GPU? (after requalifying for 1K)

This used to be a pretty simple procedure with PMUA, but then again they didn't charge upgrade fees upfront...

redwoman likes this.
  2. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, did this all the time. Easy as could be. I was going to do it again this month until I learned they take the money up front now:mad: . No way am I going to trust the newUA with returning my money and miles too after switching to a GPU. Way too many stories right now people can't get either of them back. Huge gamble for me right now thst I am not willing to take.
    Good luck!

redwoman likes this.
  3. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Posters on TOBB have pointed out that refunds to a debit card must be made in 48 hrs. Your plan may be less headache-y if you use a debit card instead of a credit card to pay for your upgrade with miles. That is what I plan to do until I see posts, either here or on TOBB, that report that refund timeframes are improving.

4. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I understand. My concern isn't so much about how long it takes to refund the miles or co-pay but about the feasibility of this procedure. With UA, I could even swap instruments at the gate. While I know that with CO, sorry the new UA, instruments have to be used up to 24hrs in advance, my question is: can one call and swap instruments for a confirmed upgrade? If it takes 2 months to refund my $550, so be it, I'd rather get the refund late than be unable to use a SWU.

5. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bump. Facing this question again... am out of SWUs right now, and would like to confirm upgrades. Can I upgrade with miles + $$$ and then eventually switch to SWUs? It used to be possible, however the current situation is unclear.

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might be possible if the R inventory is still there at the time of swap however if R0 then I don't think it's possible without involving web support to do it.

7. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    If R>0, then the procedure is trivial (at least for 1Ks - others may incur a downgrade fee.) I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this when R=0, which is the typical scenario.