Switching to US Air

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DrinkingCoffee, Oct 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Due to a relocation and change in employment, I am going to have to become a US Air person. I am currently a United Gold member, and I also have a United Club credit card.

Does US Air do a status match, or are there any enrollment promotions, or do I just start at the bottom (which does make sense, but I don't want to miss out if there is a match or promotion)? And is there a US Airways credit card that has similar perks to the United Club credit card (lounge access, free bags, etc)? I could not find anything in a google search.

Any other suggestions or things to know?

Thanks for any insight that you can provide.

danielwood likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Airways is in the process of merging with American, and Citi offers an AA-affiliated credit card with those benefits. That's what you probably should be looking for. AA also does status challenges, I believe.

danielwood likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AA challenge is still a paid event IIRC. And it is worth reading the rules very carefully as they earn credits differently than United when it comes to EQPs which I believe is the basis of the challenge. US has historically offered a Preferred Trial option. If you are flying more on US metal then go that route as the upgrades and other reciprocal benefits are not fully integrated yet.

The AA CC for lounge access will likely be the best bet on that front.

4. DrinkingCoffee

Status Points:
    Thank you both for your help. I knew that they were merging with American, but it never dawned on me to look into AA credit cards.

THANK YOU!

5. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    US may do a status match (no harm in asking), but definitely let you purchase some status during a Trial period

It's much nicer to earn status while you have some. If you'll likely earn gold, 50 K BIS miles, sign up for at least Silver. In the US system, you have the status you've paid for w/in a day or two of signing up.

Hope this helps!

Let us know if US does a status match

from us' www site:

Upgrade to Preferred
    Preferred status / costSilver – $200Gold – $400Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
    • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
    • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
    • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/promotions/trialpreferred.html?re=1

6. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    There currently is a usairways card through barclays that will convert to an american card when they merge. It's been discussed recently on mommypoints, points guy, view from the wing etc..

traveltoomuch likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it doesn't give you access to the lounges. For that you need the (expensive) AA card from Citi.

8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you can't get an outright status match (always the best plan), be careful when you select between the US trial preferred and the AA challenge: as WanderingAramean said, the AA version is based on EQPs not EQMs. If you have status, then the only real perk of the fancy AA credit card is club access, but you still might want to consider getting the basic US card while it's still available, just for the signup bonus.

sheikkila02 and flyforawg like this.
  9. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As one added point, the [targeted] upgrade on the US airways card looks very interesting. It covers both US and AA flights and has 3x earning on them.

Same shortcoming as the current version, though: no lounge access.

10. DrinkingCoffee

Status Points:
    I flew US Airways for the first time last week (4 segments). I tried to keep an open mind, but I may have to double think switching to US Airways. Hopefully with my new employment, I'll have some flexibility to choose my flights, because US Airways was definitely a step down from United.

vickers likes this.
  11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Care to elaborate? Are you speaking from a Gold/Silver standpoint, or overall flying experience?
    I fly out of a non-hub airport. United is typically cheaper going to the west coast and US Air to the east coast. I really have not found any difference between the 2 in terms of flying experience. I do not have status with either right now.

12. DrinkingCoffee

Status Points:
    I was Gold with United. The main differences that I saw (after four US Air flights)- older (more run down) planes, less leg room in the Economy Plus area, and while minor, no TVs for transcontinental flights. I like having Direct TV during football season; with US Air, the internet wasn't even working (on the two flights it was offered), so I couldn't even watch football on my iPad.

For transcontinental flights, from my experiences, United planes are just more comfortable.

13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Us has no "economy plus area" but I think will be getting that. I'm also skeptical about being in position to make a comment about "older planes" and "less comfortable transcons" after 4 segments. I've been on some pretty crappy 4 segment stretches on UA, and for that matter us, or delta, or AA. If you look for a reason to hate any airline, you will hate it.

There are also good and bad aspects to flying the non-dominant carrier in a given market.