Switching seats ... from J to Y?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by tomh009, Jun 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a long story, but I ended with a paid (discount) J fare to NRT at the end of the month instead of the expected Tango fare, which was fabulous news. However ... I need to spend a big chunk of the flight working with one of my two colleagues (who are traveling in Y), and as I recall the crew are usually none too keen with people swapping seats back and forth between J and Y.

So I think I need to gift my seat to my other colleague (the lucky guy!) and spend the flight in Y. But if I do that ... should I inform the SD that in fact it's not tomh009 in that lovely J seat but his colleague, or should I just keep quiet?

So sad ... a legit J fare and I end up in Y after all. :(

YULtide likes this.
  2. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could explain the situation and ask if you could make a discrete (once) switch sometime mid-flight.

3. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes if you give your seat in J to a Y passenger, they will continue to give you drinks etc from J and treat you like gold. Again YMMV, but I'm sure it won't be the first time that FA's come across this.

4. I've often seen spouses do this two three times per flight on long Asian flts when one is seated in J and the other not.

5. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's highly unlikely it will be an issue, but if you're concerned about the remote possibility--you could simply swap boarding passes with your colleague before you board the plane (assuming you're in a secure boarding area and don't have to show ID directly at the jetbridge.