switching from United to another program?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by amk123, Jun 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. amk123

amk123 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello, please forgive me if this keeps getting asked-- I am part of United Mileageplus program and I am questioning staying with them. I was debating changing over to Delta or AA, or if there is a better program out there I am interested to find out what if your experiences are better with other programs? I don’t fly that often but it seems like ever since United merged with Continental, there is a lot of unhappiness so I don’t seem to be the only one. Thank you

misman likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm new here but from what i've gathered picking a FF program has a few key points.

1. Where you live affects what program
    2. What are your goals
    I just started flying w/UA and I dont have a problem.

misman likes this.
  3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are all better and they are all worse. There is not a right or wrong answer. It's all about what works best for you.

misman likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the OP unhappy with UA's FF program or more generally with flying UA post merger? Looking ahead six to twelve months, will the OP be less unhappy when all of the merger SNAFUs are largely history? Would it make sense to temporarily switch carriers? For instance, some UA folks could try to fly US instead and credit all miles to UA, retaining UA status during the transition and benefitting from *Gold and club membership benefits in the meantime, but losing Y+ and UA free upgrades in the interim.

misman likes this.
  5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this your unhappiness or are you making your decision based on what others are saying? I have found that for me and my family two programs that work great are british airways and hilton honors, however if you read the boards many love to bash these two programs, 1 BA charges huge fuel surcharges and hilton has no standard rooms avaiable. however I have found that BA has great avaiability in F from West Coast to LHR and hilton has easy access to gold level that gets me free breakfast when traveling.
    Its really about what is best for you not what all other say is the best.

BuckleandBoots and misman like this.
  6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also to the OP, you said you don't fly that often, so does it really matter? If you don't fly enough to even make the lowest elite level none of the programs are going to benefit you.

Sedosi, LizzyDragon84 and misman like this.
  7. amk123

amk123 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the responses- yes I don't fly very often, and it might not be a benefit to me to switch to other programs, but I just wanted to find out if anyone was happier in other programs despite the fact if you are not too much of a frequent flier. I do agree, that in about a year their snafus will be history as well- time will tell on that.

misman likes this.
  8. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, amk123. You may want to check out this thread for some additional insight. FWIW, I agree with most of the advice you've been given above.

jetsetboy likes this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were interested in AA and DL you could always join AS(Alaska) and earn miles on both

10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi and welcome to MP! :)

I am a member of the AA, UA and DL programs. The truth of the matter is at times any one of these airlines could shine over the other. As an example I have not been happy with UA lately, but AA has been pretty decent over the last year. I'm speaking overall, not just the FF program. Two years ago I was not that happy with AA but was with UA. You may wish to join several programs and use the program that serves your needs at the time,
    especially if you are not a very frequent flier chasing status.