Switching earning styles between stays?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by martinfoss, Dec 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I've set my earnings style to earn fixed airline miles - in my case 500 Avios per stay into my BA account - since I usually do short stays, and never exceeds 500 USD in actual rate at my stays.

However, I'm planning an upcoming trip to the US, where I at the moment have booked three different hotels. At my current style, that'll earn me 1500 Avios. If I switch my style to variable miles, I'll earn 1549 Avios (for rates only - not including any potential expences at the hotels.

The rates are the following (total for each stay):
    478 USD
    150 USD
    921 USD

If I earn fixed miles for the two first stays, and switch to variable miles between those, the total will be 1921 Avios. Only a few hundred more, but still.

So, will this actually work if I log in and change my style after check out of hotel number two, but before I check in at number three? Will the system update that quick?

Thanks.

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing to think about is how easy are the BA points to use --- I used to have mine go to Delta, but because their miles are now hard to use, all of mine go to Hilton.

The other think to watch for are promos.

DTWBOB

3. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, that's probably another discussion. I have BAEC as my preferred program, and am quite happy with how I've been able to use my miles/Avios so far.

4. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI, I learned over at Flyertalk that the earning style you get for a stay, is the one you've set your account to at midnight on the date of your check-out - that is, the midnight that occurs after you have checked out.

So in my case, I should not switch my style untill the day after I have checked in at hotel number three.

5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, that's correct: 11:59PM of the night you checked out. I know several people whose routine is to always check out and then immediately go to the hotel's business center to make sure their earnings style is correct for the stay they just completed.

6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many facilities lock their biz centers -- might be worth asking if the key will work after you 'check' out. Though if you have them slip a bill under the door (which is what I always do)....

DTWBOB

7. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does that work also for your Gold/Diamond preferences?

8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anybody NOT do "express checkout" nowadays?! :) But you're right, you should go to the business center while you still have the room card so you can make sure to get in.
    I do not know the answer to that one, as I'm not a Gold or Diamond member. The only Platinum whose experiences on that I could speak about always wants the points so they don't change anything ever.

My WAG is that the MyWay benefits would need to be set at the time of check-in so that the hotel knows what to give you. If you could change it at check-out, the hotel could have already given you the breakfast voucher, you could change it, and then get the points in addition to breakfast/etc.

So my total guess, and the way that I would operate without other information from someone else with more experience, would be to set your MyWay before you check in and set your Double Dip style the day of check out.