Switching Amex?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by jow_filipino, Aug 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jow_filipino

jow_filipino New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Guys, I have an etihad airways credit card as I fly to Asia through this airline (and BA on the other side of the Atlantic). Since I'm not paying any annual fees with Etihad, so far it's a good AMEX card. but is there a merit of switching to a real AMEX card?

Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, there's no merit in giving up a good card with no annual fees. You can apply for a second card, if something interests you.

jbcarioca and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. sarakhan

sarakhan New Member

Status Points:
    nice post..................

---------------------------------------
    sara

jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  4. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    In terms of benefits, I guess etihad airways credit card is close to most other no annual fee AMEX cards. Unless you are looking for additional benefits, your current card is good enough.

jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint Sara!

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You did not say from which country you had your Etihad card. In Saudi the cards are from Amex (Saudi Arabia) which is a joint venture between American Express Middle east and the Saudi investment bank. if the UK, the Amex card is issued by MBNA, the UK arm of Bank of America credit cards. The only potential advantage of "real" Amercian Express cards, i.e. ones issued by American express Company itself without a cobranded, is Mermbership rewards, their own loyalty program. Generally their cobranded have somewhat more attractive benefits than do their non cobrands. They also have the Etihad Platinum card, which has a fee but also richer benefits. Any American Express branded card, even owns issued by other banks with other cobranded will work for Etihad 10% fare discount American Express card promotion.

All of that is a slightly long-winded way to say you probably will gain nothing much by a non-Etihad American Exoress card, but you might consider upgrading to Platinum if you want more benefits. if you're in the UK you might also want to look at the Eithad MBNA visa too, if Etihad is your primary interest.

danielwood likes this.
  7. Deal2020

Deal2020 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can have up to 5 Amex cards, so it is better to apply for a new one with sign up bonus.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's good to remember that the Etihad cobranded are issued by other entities than American Express Company. No limit exists on how many American Express cards a single person can have since they can have cards from multiple issuers, just like Visa and MasterCard. Also Business and Personal are entirely different categories even when issued by American Express company. It can get fiendishly complicated, can't it?