Switch FF program (for earning) after upgrade clears?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Globetrotter, Nov 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Globetrotter

Globetrotter Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the "new" UA, can I use my 1K number to buy a ticket and redeem a GPU and then switch my FF number to another *A program to earn miles there (on the paid ticket, of course)?

I believe that this used to be possible at UA pre-merger, but I never did it myself. Also, all of the information I found online seems to be old, so I would like more recent confirmation. Thanks!

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes you can! You don't even need your MP # associated to the ticket. As long as you have the confirmation number you can upgrade it online. However if you wanted the CPU then you need the number in there.

Sent from my Sonic Screwdriver.

snod08 and unavaca like this.
  3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. You don't even need to have it there in the first place (unless you want E+ seating, in which case you do need it there), since status is based upon the sponsor.

snod08 likes this.
  4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can do this without issue while you redeem a GPU. Your 1K status will be used for the waitlist status on the GPU.

5. Globetrotter

Globetrotter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome -- thanks for all the confirmations! To avoid any issues (not that there seems to be any, based on what you're all saying), I won't even put it in there to begin with. I'll just upgrade online using the confirmation number since the space is available as of now. Thanks to all who replied (and so quickly!).

6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you run into any problems when redeeming the upgrade, use your Mileage Plus number, then change it when you check in. I've done it, no problem.