Swiss compensation for 10 h delay

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by SirRagnar, Mar 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi
    I was supposed to be on LX092 right now from ZRH to GRU, but it has been canceled due to 'no crew available'.
    I've been put in a hotel and given a boarding pass for a new flight tomorrow 10 hours after scheduled departure. The new flight has a new number; LX7092.

I am missing almost a full working day in Sao Paolo, but I believe I am entitled to compensation for this delay based on the EU regulations.
    However, I am not sure if this applies when this is a Swiss flight - afterall Switzerland is not a member of the EU.
    Does anyone know if I am entitled to the 600 euro compensation as per the EU rules or how it works with Swiss?

Swiss refers to a convention in their rules of carriage, but I don't know which convention: http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/general/footer_links/conditions_of_carriage/Pages/article_09.aspx

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect the "no crew available" will somehow be a way out of compensation. A nice letter also pointing out you missed a day of work may be of some benefit- certainly worth writing in.

3. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK Switzerland joined the EU rules on compensations.

Swiss always tries to find a way out of compensating passengers. It helps if you have status with miles&more - if so, add the Line Senator Service or Frequent Traveller Service to the adress below. Send your claim to

Swiss International Air Lines AG
    Postfach
    CH-4002 Basel
    Schweiz

4. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. Switzerland voluntarily adopted the same regulations regarding passenger compensation as the EU.

Where did you start your journey? If you were ticketed CPH-ZRH-GRU, then you would be covered by EU regulations anyway...

5. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was ticketed from CPH, yes.
    I filed my request for compensation today. I'll keep you updated of the progress. I asked for the full €600 which I believe I am entitled to.

6. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't heard anything back from my request so I have re-submitted it - I think a month should be enough to reply to my initial request.

Does anyone happen to have an email that might work better than the contact form on the webpage?

7. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I would update this thread for future reference.

After 2 letters from me, 2 letters from EUClaim and 3 months what do you know. Suddenly there is an EasyCash card with €600 in my post box with a letter from the Head of Customer Service apologizing for the inconvenience and delay.

So it pays off to pursue a claim. Thanks to Swiss for eventually paying ;)

SmooveG and sobore like this.