SWISS, Austrian, BMI to join UA Transatlantic Joint Venture (Full UA miles on SWISS flights?)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sean, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just read an article from flightglobal about this. I for one would be very pleased to start earning 100% UA bonus miles from my premier exec status with United on all Swiss fares. Right now the lowest Swiss fares don't even earn united miles.

Here's a link to a similar article on aviation week:
    http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=aviationdaily&id=news/avd/2011/02/07/09.xml&headline=Lufthansa's Long-Haul Partners To Join Transatlantic Joint Venture

There's no stated time-line for entry, but since their entering the JV as "controlled entities" rather than new partners, it's my hope that it could be sooner rather than later.

2. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to see EWR-VIE on UA or OS equipment.

I also wonder if BD's entrance will result in some further US-LHR expansion from new United. Their LHR slot portfolio is perhaps their most valuable asset and JV partners have been known to share slots in the past.

3. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't mind some BD TATL metal or OS doing ORD-VIE again.

tjtenor4 likes this.
  4. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This makes sense considering that UA Star Gold mebers currently earn the 1P bonus on all LH flights as well as the 50 percent bonus EQMs for buying high cost fares such as C,D,Z,Y, and B fares.

5. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do hope that this would involve more *A US flights from LHR but I cannot see it happening. UA has been in contraction mode for some time now, selling slots and continually reducing operations. The addition of CO redresses this. However, for there to be meaningful expansion from LHR, it would be through BMI and I don't see them having the clout to serve US cities other than *A hubs.

6. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My point is that BD slots could be leased to UA (or other partners) to start new transatlantic routes/frequencies. Additional US-LHR flights could potentially provide a greater benefit to the joint venture than an existing service currently operated by BD outside the scope of the agreement, and thus it would be wise to transfer the slot.

We've seen SkyTeam do this, leasing slots to DL from AF/KL and AZ, carriers with much smaller LHR slot portfolios than BD.

7. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could see BD serving some leisure oriented US/Caribbean destinations (like they used to) and connecting those places to LHR in addition to some *A hubs. It would be nice to see some *A metal on JFK-LHR again.

8. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just going to comment that despite Fortress EWR, I would not be at all surprised (and I'd be quite thrilled) if we see JFK-LHR on *A again. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that it could be on UACO metal.

9. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have heard the same thing over the last few months since the legal merger. A presence on JFK-LHR is of some strategic importance to Star Alliance. Currently-in-place avenues will be explored (think VS), but if that falls through, there is/was a rumor that p.s. service with an updated product could be introduced on 3-4 JFK-LHR frequencies. This would certainly round out Star's NYC presence and firmly establish it as the premier alliance in the metropolitan area. We shall see.

tjtenor4 likes this.
  10. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only we could get some TATL service again out of LGA's old MAT ;):p:D

11. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In all seriousness, though - don't BD, LX, and LH have more than a few LCY slots? Would it be a pipe dream to hope for a competing JFK-LCY all-C service like BA has? LX already operates (well, OK, PrivatAir operates it for LX) a similar service on the EWR-ZRH route, using 738s.

12. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is good news as it means more codeshares on transatlantic flights ... but how many will that be now? An OS flight will have LH/LX/UA/CO/BD/SK/AC flight numbers? Wow.

13. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will this also mean reduced capacity via cutting of TATL flights among the various carriers? Fuller, less comfortable planes, unless being part of the joint venture means having to install E+ fleet-wide?

14. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    There will be no question of E+ on any joint venture. It's not even on UA's IAD-MAD service (operated by Aer Lingus) so it's certainly not going to appear on LH, or Swiss or Austrian or BMI.

15. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the major change that we'll see as customers is that mileage earning will be standardized across all JV members. Basically now you'll earn miles on a Swiss flight the same way you would if the flight was operated by United.

Additionally we might see some "harmonization" of prices across the Atlantic.

16. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why do you think that will happen? AC & BD have been part of the JV for a while and UA hasn't seen fit to dole out 150% EQM's on premium tickets...

17. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually since AC joined the join venture United does give out the 150% EQMS, just check out United's site here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1180,00.html

BD hasn't been a member of the JV yet, they'll be joining along with Swiss as airlines owned by Lufthansa, so you'll see basically the same mileage earning chart linked above for AC on BD and LX.

18. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, interesting. I didn't know that.

Of course, it would just be nice if UA gave out bonus EQM's for all *A partners similar to what AA does.

Renard likes this.
  19. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, the one likely standout, in terms of not coming on board the mileage earning equalization, will likely be Singapore.

20. While LGA is a port of entry for the United States, it simply doesn't have the capacitive to handle inbound international flights :-/.

Not to mention the premier rule + the runways can't handle the larger jets.

21. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the airlines that don't get bonus EQM on UA MP are currently the rule, not the exception.

Reducing mileage for cheap fares in understandable. But no bonus EQM for premium fares is ridiculous.

I doubt SQ would be against it. They award additional EQM's when creditted to LH M&M for example.

22. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, which is why I suggested the Marine Air Terminal... bring back the Pan Am Clippers! [​IMG] (Yes, I am being facetious)

weegiewife likes this.
  23. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This JV inclusion will be godsend for me!!!

It is rather annoying that my options are limited when I want to earn miles, but no dice with the cheap-o fares :p