Swapping Seats On-board Between Cabins

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by schnitzel, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done something that may not be entirely kosher, and I'm looking for hints about whether I'll be causing myself and my family problems here. It's not very extreme, but it's not 100% straight up either.

My family of four is doing a transcon RT this summer. I booked RTs for myself and my wife, in coach. I booked rewards tickets for my kids one-way, and bought tickets for the other direction. For our return portion of our RT, I put us on the sticker upgrade request list.

The crux is, the rewards seats are in First, and I intend to use those for me and my wife. The kids will sit in our coach seats.

So, yes, I could have just done the rewards seats for us, and the RTs for the kids, but we're both elites, so we get extra miles and MTEU on the paid seats.

I'm guessing this will all fly under the radar, but has anyone ever had a problem in such a situation? Or do I just have a guilty conscience?

uggboy likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the age of your kids, can you all be separated, i.e. you/wife in one cabin with your children in the other, unless their unaccompanied minors?

zshanlon and schnitzel like this.
  3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - they're over the age where they have no issues there. Plus, they look like they're in college :eek:

Here's what AA says:

uggboy likes this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be surprised if anyone gave you any trouble about swapping seats among immediate family members.

Personally, I'd do one parent and one child in each direction. That's 1) nice for the kids and 2) gives you the argument that you're swapping around in order to give the kids a chance to sit in first (rather than to maximize your mile earning).

uggboy and schnitzel like this.
  5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a bad thought. Kids would love it.

But if I'm going to be in coach, I kinda want an exit row . . . and they aren't old enough for that.

uggboy likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This happens quite a bit and most people simply notify the FA of the swap without issue.

Just don't try swapping cabins in the middle of the flight, that's where people start butting heads with other passengers and the FAs. Once you settle into your seats for the ride, you should remain in your chosen cabin of service.

I'm certain the young schnitzels are well behaved and can handle themselves alone for a few hours. If not, perhaps do as suggested above and split the parents between cabins in each direction to make sure things go smoothly for your kids AND other passengers. :D

zshanlon, uggboy and schnitzel like this.
  7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

Yeah, they're good kids. They actually flew this same RT a few years ago with their school and they got split up in the middle seats in various places. No reports of problems.

I'm sticking them in coach on a trans-Atlantic this summer also (we're using SWUs to get to biz) so I guess I can see how they do, but I'm sure they'll be busy with their iPhones the whole time. I'll spring for some extra movies from the iTunes store ahead of time just to insure good behavior.

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be tough without being able to recharge or a portable charger. ;)

schnitzel likes this.
  9. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They know how to squeeze 5 hours out of their iDevices.

rwoman and desamo like this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about that -- some airlines insist on you being in your assigned seat (or at least assigned cabin) for take-off and landing.

In one case, I was told I (in WBC) could swap with my traveling companion (seated in cattle class -- I was upgraded but she wasn't) after take-off and level out, but had to be back in my seat in the pointy-end for descent and landing, and indeed the Flight Attendant came by and reminded me to go forward and swap back just before landing procedures commenced.

(I wondered whether this was done to aid in identification purposes in case something happened, but thought it would be better not to ask.)

11. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am in a similar situation. I am booked in first class with my son on a Cathay flight from JFK to HKG. I am planning to swap with my parents, who are booked in business on the same flight. My mom has not flown in first before, and I would rather sit in business with my young son anyway (in case he has a meltdown). I've been assuming that CX would let us swap seats if I gave the flight attendant a heads up once we boarded, but now I am wondering if we'll run into problems.

If anyone has done a swap without problems, I'd appreciate the story.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You managed to leave out the part where I said you notify the FA first. ;) If they have a problem with your swap, they'll tell you.

Also, I've never seen FAs do a name check prior to take off on any airline I've ever flown. That would be quite a feat, especially in Y. I'd wager that many people, especially those traveling as a family or a group, are not in their assigned seat on just about any flight. Which isn't to say I doubt your story, just that it doesn't seem likely that it's a major issue.

As for identification, seems a bit odd. As morbid as it sounds, if something happened that required identification, I doubt you'll be neatly strapped in 6A. "6A" probably doesn't exist anymore.

13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the name check, right, never heard of it.

But I do wonder if the manifest tells the FA that there is an unaccompanied minor in 2A, and then they look there and see me, and start to wonder what's going on.

14. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this post simply because you called his kids young schnitzels.

15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wear a helmet and claim there's been a spelling mistake?

16. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with ya.

Fortunately "The Lady Schnitzel" hasn't yet come up in these forums. Oops.

Mrs. Schnitzel? (reminds me of the Zohan)

Herr Schnitzel? (I don't think she'd go for that)

Skye1 and zshanlon like this.
  17. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't there a popular rap song about that a few years ago...

"Herr schnitzel brings all the boys to the yard..."

I suppose the teenage pop culture references are a bit our of place here.

AnthonyB1609, desamo and Skye1 like this.
  18. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As per member spouses, the usual titles seem to include...

"she who must be obeyed",

"revenue management",

"DH"

...and various other "happy wife = happy life" cannotations.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't they know what's going on since you should be notifying them? ;)

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills" because no matter how many times I write "tell the FA" no one sees it. Lol how's that for a teen pop culture reference?

20. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget the ever popular "DH" which I just don't like, but which works when referring to men as well as women.

Skye1 likes this.
  21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always feel like they'll just ignore that type of information as "extraneous." Do they ever really digest it?

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe we fly very differnet routes, my FAs tend to be pretty engaged and cognizant. There's always Helen though....:D

schnitzel likes this.
  23. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll give it the honest try. I actually feel like the AA FAs have been more on-the-ball recently. One guy particularly impressed me recently - he was the FA for first, but constantly came back to help in coach, always with a genuine smile on his face. I was wishing I had those "appreciation" vouchers with me.

24. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done just that (F reward for the kids, paid Y and swap) on international trips. As long as the kids are old enough there shouldn't be any issues. At one point we even had a kids meal ordered for one of the Y seats (10+ YO in seat, 40+ YO name on the ticket) and there was no issue.

No "guilty conscience" on my part. In all cases the swap was done before boarding.

25. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't believe I forgot that one. Post updated.

schnitzel likes this.