Swapping Flights Between Award Levels

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by y2kdread, Jul 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to swap flight between award levels on AA?

I would like to change a flight from DFW --> LAS booked using Business MileSAAver to Economy MileSAAver.

Then I would want move a flight back a day from LAS --> DFW and change that from Economy MileSAAver to Business MileSAaver.

When I called up I was told that if I change the reward level down, I would have to pay $150 dollars in order to put the extra points back into my account.

As a note, these trips are booked under 2 different record locators.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sounds about right. The Flyerguide wiki has a break down on when you should and shouldn't expect fees when making changes to an award: LINK.

The $150 is probably related to your downgrade from first to economy DFW-LAS. The upgrade from economy to first typically is done without an additional fee, which would explain why you were quoted only one fee.

And as a technical side note, you booked a First MileSAAver. Domestic flights between DFW and LAS do not offer a business cabin. Only 3 class transcons and international flights on AA feature a cabin that's referred to as Business. Not important in the grand scheme of things, but thought I'd mention it. :)

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the OP trying to downgrade in order to have enough miles for the upgrade in the opposite direction? The change fee might equal about the value of the saved miles and if the OP doesn't have enough miles for FC on both flights, he/she might want to check how much it would cost to purchase the required miles. Rather than paying the $150, I would investigate what it would cost to sit in FC on both flights.

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  4. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    I am not really that worried about the upgrade, I just want to be able to leave on a Sunday instead of a Saturday. I don't have enough extra miles to do that unless I downgrade the first leg. I'll look into buying miles, but AA doesn't really offer them for that cheap of a price.

Thanks!

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  5. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    I do have a a bunch of BA miles, does anyone know if it would possible use these in some way to upgrade that flight to be able to fly on another day?

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit confused by what you're asking. How would "upgrading" your flight allow you to fly on another date?

You cannot use BA miles to upgrade an AA economy award ticket, if that's what you're asking. You can use BA miles to book award tickets on AA though. So perhaps your best bet is to keep your F award from DFW-LAS on the day you have and use your BA miles to book an award LAS-DFW on the day you want. I'm still a little confused on what it is you want to do though.

7. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess my wording is bad.

But what I mean is that their is no availability at the 12.5K level and I would need to swap up to the 25K level.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How many BA Avios do you have?

9. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Over 200,000

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's plenty of course! You should be able to book that ticket with 15K Avios vs the 25K AA miles. You should be able to do it online at BA.com.

11. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Hum, that's odd. I pull it up and it looks like they are charging 22,500 Avios. Do you know if you have to call and do anything special to get the flight for 15,000 Avios?

Also, it looks like I would lose the 12,500 points I paid for canceling the flight I already booked from Vegas unless I paid the 150 dollar fee to have the miles re-deposited into my account?

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually the 22.5K might be correct, when I use my account it offers the 15K award but it's actually an economy ticket.

And yes, the $150 is required to redeposit your miles.

13. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Do you know any way around that redeposit fee? I would hate to loose the miles but $150 may be a bit steep.

14. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Or would it make a difference if I merged seperate record locators into a single one, and then have them drop the current 25K flight 12.5K and bump up the other one. Would this avoid that $150 dollar fee

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why not keep the award and simply move it to a date in the future? If you want the miles back you'd need to pay the fee though.

16. Robt760

Robt760 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any award on AA with AA miles can be have a date or time change for no charge. Not sure of the rules with BA/Avios. The only thing is, there needs to be award space available to make the switch. The OP didn't mention when they will be traveling, but usually there's always a chance for a single seat to open up for a "Z" Mile SAAver award in First. Flights in and out of LAS might be a different case, especially if there is a convention or something going on. As a last resort, the OP can also cancel the reservation,but not the ticket and it will be valid for one year from when it was ticketed. Again, the date change can be made with no fee.