Swap points by barter

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Flying Bat, Mar 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whilst one might expect to hear a degree of vocal protest at anyone suggesting miles / cash swaps, I wonder if there might be another way?

Swapping travel awards for travel awards seems to be less objectionable to some in the points world, and there are occasional forums which address this need.

If the inclusion of pure cash is what gets folks so hot under the collar, I wonder whether some sort of barter arrangement might be acceptable, or more palatable?

For instance someone sitting on a pile of points under some programmes might find it frustrating not to find dates and award class inventory offered when required. In some ways it is difficult not to feel for the person in a position where he is unable to unlock value.

I wonder about the vacation home owner, either with a one week timeshare or full ownership of a cliff side villa.

Could the needs of both parties be addressed in some way?
    I wonder what about exchanging frequent flyer points for a stay at a holiday home?

Perhaps exchanges for this type of barter exist already, and it's just that I am unaware of them.

And before I get flamed, I am neither advocating nor disapproving on these practices, but I am offering to promote a healthy debate.

2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe such an exchange does exist, but is only accessible to Gold members of Milepoint.

B1BomberVB and GoodBoy like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its a very quite place...

4. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I believe that may be the case for Golds, but access seems hard to achieve.
    In any event I suppose I am thinking more about a wider audience, as the villa owner looking to get something for his too often empty holiday apartment , he won't necessarily be on MP.

I have generally searched for a barter exchange, something which I would have thought was a concept which lent itself well to the www, but I have been unable to identify one which looks useful.

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Acceptable to the companies or to travelers?

The companies generally explicitly prohibit it.

Flying Bat likes this.
  6. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    To complicate things even more, the companies argue that the points are not your property - the points belong to them. And any misuse of the points are right to revoke. Though it is my personal opinion that the ownership can be argued - especially when they can be bequeathed, their value can be challenged in court, and you may be able to be taxed upon their value.

It seems like a slippery slope to me, considering how fragile they are. And when you consider the hotel devaluation of 2013, and continued fluxuation in the actual redeemable value, is this a good value proposition for either barterer?

GoodBoy and Flying Bat like this.
  7. mootunesb

mootunesb New Member

Status Points:
    What about points.com then?

8. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure that you can be taxed on the value and in a way that's a point which must concern BigCo. when, and if, a ff benefit can be assessed as a taxable emolument, then perhaps that's the slippery slope to which you refer.

As for good value proposition for either barterer, in a situation such as the one suggested, where a property owner will get nothing, and a points holder is unable to redeem points due to absence of reward inventory, well, make your own mind up.

GoodBoy likes this.
  9. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree.

If the corporates offer a permit for corporates to deal. is it right that the rules of the game dictate that the individual has lesser rights than that of a corporate entity?

B1BomberVB and GoodBoy like this.
  10. CC is the obvious choice at this point for volume

anabolism and Flying Bat like this.
  11. solitary nearly

Flying Bat likes this.
  12. Gold members can nominate you to the exchange

13. people place different values on points, relative to their specific opportunity cost

B1BomberVB and Flying Bat like this.
  14. the commissions/margins IMHO make that unattractive

B1BomberVB and Flying Bat like this.
  15. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bang-on, FlyingBat #8! It is inconsistent & hypocritical for airlines & hotel co.s to approve of points.com trades where big, fat fees apply but to prohibit 2 customers from saying privately, "I'll use my 40K BA Avios to book your flight, while you use your 120K HHonors points to book me a room!" Reminds me of dictatorial countries with garbage currencies who outlaw private forex dealing so the govt. makes all the money & controls the people!

Flying Bat and GoodBoy like this.
  16. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    If only I could find some kind gentleman who might put me up for consideration for nomination . . .

GoodBoy and B1BomberVB like this.
  17. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have just achieved Silver status here. Benefits include "access to restricted forums." Which ones are those?

18. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Benefits include "access to restricted forums."
    That's equally a puzzle to me but I remain hopeful that someone might shine a light.

GoodBoy likes this.
  19. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try this:

http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/off-topic-private.150/

Flying Bat likes this.
  20. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too, but I'd be just as happy if it was a kind gentlewoman.

21. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that while the program rules do prohibit all trade/barter, the companies do draw distinctions and have somewhat of a scale of how much they object. For example, someone using miles for a trip for him/her self plus a friend, and the friend uses his/her points for the hotel, would probably not raise an eyebrow. There's a huge area in the middle, of course (some examples, doing the same but not being one of those traveling, upgrading a friend who later on upgrades you, upgrading online acquaintances who gift one a hotel stay).