SWA Pushes to Expand in DC/NY Airports

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by MSYgirl, Nov 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

LINK

Southwest Airlines Co. will get its chance to tell a judge why it needs more takeoff and landing slots at airports in New York and Washington, D.C. — and why American Airlines Inc. and US Airways Inc. should surrender those slots.

The Dallas-based carrier asked permission Thursday to submit a friend of the court brief in an antitrust lawsuit filed by the U.S. Department of Justice in an effort to block the merger of American and US Airways. The judge in the case OK’d the request.

Southwest spokesman Brad Hawkins said the airline’s brief would cover “the enormous benefits Southwest would offer consumers if we were able to expand access” to Reagan National Airport near Washington, D.C., and New York’s LaGuardia Airport.

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's simply amazing to have seen the growth of SWA at BWI. Over the past decade, SWA has gone from a more or less equal presence with the major airlines at BWI, to dominating the airport. With their merger with AirTran, at BWI, SWA uses all of concourses A and B, and recently uses even more gates out of concourse C.

Because of my experience flying SWA, I agree with it's spokesman Brad Hawkins about the “the enormous benefits Southwest would offer consumers if we were able to expand access” to Reagan National Airport near Washington, D.C., and New York’s LaGuardia Airport", but only if SWA does not change their basic business model, that includes free bags, the ability to change/cancel your flight without penalty, and reasonable air fares.
    Considering that over the past year, SWA basic (non-sale) air fares have increased about 80% (at least for my travel), I've a bit skeptical about this.

iolaire likes this.
  3. AdamKooper

AdamKooper Active Member

Status Points:
    The truth comes out.

This is all this Lawsuit was ever about. AA/US need to pay "tribute" to swa.
    I find it funny that SWA can own 70% of bwi and still demand slots at dca.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could see that ending up as a slot/gate swap resulting in AA having more BWI service as a result. It'd likely be BWI-CLT/PHL/NYC-somewhere and rolled to Eagle, possibly on the new E-175's on some routes.

Dot forget that the Wright Amendment restrictions are being phased out.

5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree considering BWI is not slot controlled. That is the key.

AA, US or any other domestic airline could ramp up service at BWI at any moment. The question for those airlines? What is stopping them from operating more flights?