SW 50k Offer: $2k from date of activation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Up&Away, Jan 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had my mom apply for the business card & a personal card under the now-expired SW 50k points offer on Oct 8. She called to activate the card today so if the bonus still counts towards the companion pass she can work towards that for this year and next. The rep told her she had until Jan 8 (90 days from APPLICATION) to meet he $2k spend on each card. I told her to call back because I'm sure it's from the date of ACTIVATION. (How would they know when you even got the card in the mail?) I'm right on this, right? She said the first guy even tried to change the date for her but was unable to do so.

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure which one is correct, but the best advice I've heard is that you can start working on the $2K spend as soon as you get the card. Just don't complete the $2K until the start of the new year. That way the bonus will post in the new year. So in your mother's case, she could have started using the card in October and spent up to $1,999 in 2012, then spent $1 more in January.

3. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The clock typically starts on the approval date for the account, not the activation date. Whether you activate the card or not, the issuer has indeed extended a line of credit to the person and starts the monthly billing cycles immediately. Check the T&C of the offer. If you don't have them saved, someone here might have a copy of them for that particular offer, in case that particular offer is different from the ones I've done.

If she can cover the CC bill at the end of the current billing cycle, tell her to go buy $2k in prepaid cards with each of the SW cards and then use those prepaid cards for her daily spending. Or help her figure out the Bluebird/Vanilla Reload game.

Good luck!

Mikus33 likes this.
  4. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always thought it was from your approval date. I'd call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Maybe someone with authority can extend some more time. Or just set up a couple dummy accounts on AP.

5. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every card I have seen, and all the ones I have from Chase are from application date. She need to go online and buy some Amex gift cards ASAP. I believe the charges need to clear as well.

satman40 likes this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Chase rep was correct. The clock starts ticking on the date they process the application (and pull the credit report).

satman40 and boondr like this.
  7. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    (Banging head against wall...) I can not believe I missed this. I know I've thrown cards in the drawer before and waited to start spending on them, but I guess I've always met the spend requirements in time anyways. Thanks for the replies. Will see what we can do now...

8. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can pay a mortgage payment with the card through a third party.....its only 2k. Get some gift card on SW or HomeDepot Reload cards ect, many options here.

Always approval date, so try to meet the Jan 8 timing

9. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume this is true for other issuers as well?

10. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. PS. Use amazon payment for 1k in spend per month to a friend.....its no fee to the card and is an easy way to meet minimum spend. Your friend just cashes it out and returns the money. 1k per month...easy to meet spend requirement if you don't have high cc spend normally.

Maximizer likes this.
  11. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you think they'll scream fraud if the friend then pays me back via Amazon too? Within a few days? :)

12. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:

If you want to get your account shutdown, then have him pay you back via Amazon as well. All your friend needs to do, is transfer to his checking or savings and then repay you via cash or check.

Do not shuffle money back and forth via Amazon, needs to be a one way transaction. If you want to read more detail go to Flyertalk, under manufactured spending. Otherwise, just send your friend money up to 1k per month on any credit card..... noted: Send it as Goods and Services payment, NOT AS CASH (otherwise your credit card company may charge a cash advance).

If you send as outlined above, its will go through and money is available within 24 hours.

satman40 likes this.