Survey - Your experience as frequent flyer with boarding passes, seat-mates, delays etc.

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by uweheldt, Jun 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uweheldt

uweheldt Member

Status Points:
    Hi there,

since I’m new in this forum, let me introduce myself first. I (Uwe), 36 years, live in Hamburg (Germany) and travel a lot. I work as an Aviation IT-Consultant.

I’m working on a new project related to mobile-app and web-development for frequent flyers. Almost every time I travel, I see certain things that might be worth to improve. On top I meet people here and there having a painful experience during their travel. Before implementing something useless I want to learn from other frequent flyers to actually develop a solution that solves real problems, rather than developing nice but useless stuff. Hence I’m doing face to face interviews and do Internet based surveys. So this survey intends to learn from you, your experience and to understand points where you feel a bad experience or you see space for improvement.

I have done quite a few face to face interviews already in Germany but certainly flying is a world wide experience. So help me getting an international insight and participate in this survey.

All details related to the survey and why you should participate are on the survey intro page. Here is the link to the survey

BTW. I’ve asked the owner of this community and got his OK to ask you guys and post this here.

Many Thanks in advance,
    Uwe

uggboy and Mark like this.
  2. uweheldt

uweheldt Member

Status Points:
    Many Thanks to all of you who have participated. The feedback was very valuable and I was able to refine my project idea. Thanks again. As promised I have consolidated the feedback and survey results as a very high level summary.

High level summary of the outcome:

• Many of you have certain requirements related to boarding pass apps. Almost everyone wants to see a specific piece of information on a boarding pass which brings me to the conclusion that it would be good to have a customizable boarding pass and the user must be able to configure what he/she wants to see on the boarding pass. Although this is a very nice idea, the market of boarding pass apps is huge and there are quite a few great apps available. So this is not my main focus (yet).
    • Many of you think it would be helpful to have digital baggage labels to avoid the extra piece of paper you get at the baggage drop off.
    • Quite a few of you suggested to focus on / implement a proper solution to forecast / see the required time for the security check. Very nice idea!
    • More than 70% of you stated „Social Seating“ (Choose a seat mate rather than a seat) as an interesting area with potential to improve the travel experience.
    • Most of you would spend money for an app without ads assuming it gives a real benefit
    • 56% of you are iPhone users, 41% Android users and the minor rest Windows Phone and Blackberry.

Based on that outcome I have picked a few things for my backlog:
    • I decided to focus on a Social Seating app first, since Social Seating is a very underestimated thing and not just me, but more than 70% of you see this as an interested area
    • Next thing will be to work on a solution to forecast / determine the waiting times for the security lanes.
    • Next thing will then be a paperless baggage label

For now I have been working on an Android prototype and backend for a Social Seating app. This works well already and I’m really amazed about the potential. To further move this forward I have decided to launch a crowd funding campaign to do the Android and iOS development. For all of you who are interested in more insight into that project, please become a fan of my campaign at https://www.startnext.de/en/seat-unity

Also feel free to send me PM. I’m happy to give further insight.

Thanks,
    Uwe