Survey of favorite USA airlines

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSPeconomist, May 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cable news is reporting the results of a survey of 1500 airlines passengers ranking carriers. The results were as follows:
    10 US
    9 UA
    8 DL
    7 AA
    6 CO
    5 AirTran
    4 Frontier
    3 Alaska
    2 JetBlue
    1 Southwest

JohnDeere19 and sobore like this.
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not surprised at those rankings at all.

3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A little surprised by airtran and frontier

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    More information: It apparently was a survey of "overall satisfaction" by Consumer Reports to rank the best and worst airlines. US had the worst FA service, although they pointed out that their baggage delivery had improved 70%. The biggest complaints were uncomfortable seats and fees. The survey was conducted before cracks were discovered in Southwest aircraft.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I had my first experience with Alaska last weekend and have to say I wasn't impressed at all. Perhaps bad luck on my part.

6. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    These lists amount to a big zero in my book. Survey 1500 different travelers and you'll get a different set of results, though the usuall cast of characters lingering in the top 3-4 and the usual suspects in the bottom 3.

These surveys should come with a disclaimer, "your experience may vary." I've never been impressed with Southwest, but plenty of people are. I'm MVPG on AS, a position I don't expect others would be able to fathom.

SC Flier likes this.
  7. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many of the respondents have actually ridden on all 10? I regard myself as pretty well traveled and don't think I've ever set butt on 3 of them (Air Tran, Frontier and jetBlue.) How do you do comparisons when people haven't got enough information to compare?

ctporter and bakedpatato like this.
  8. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    The report I read said 15,000 travelers, but what surprised me about this was uncomfortable seats and excess fees were their number one complaints. I wonder if Consumer Reports even asked about complaints regarding security theater?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it since it was a survey about satisfaction with airlines. How do you tie frustration/annoyance with TSA to AA/DL/CO etc? They're not related..... unless I missed something? :confused:

10. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The survey results were reported in various news forums today I think. The first one I read was a CBS report with a provocative headline like, Consumers Choosing to Boycott Airlines Due to Uncomfortable Seats and Excessive Fees...for the life of me I can't find the original report, which better explains my anti-TSA comments.

Without the original report however I have zero credibility, so will either find the report or eat crow.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well hopefully you can find it, I'd be interested in reading it!

I'm just having a hard time making a logical connection between the government's security screening process and airline service. Some airports have opted for privatized screening if I recall correctly, but that's still tied to the airport itself and not the airline.

The only thing I can think of is that people are frustrated that the airlines haven't expressed more lobbying pressure on Congress to make it more friendly to the public, but that seems like too nuanced of an argument to be made for something as simple as an airline satisfaction survey.

12. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just found it... headline that grabbed my attention reads: "Uncomfortable Seats, Fees Are Why People Aren't Flying" my initial reaction and apparently a lot of others (see comments) is TSA is the reason people aren't flying. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Got it, thanks for the link! :)

I'm still not on board with the idea though. "Why don't you want to fly?" is a completely different question then "What makes an airline good?". For almost all areas, the TSA security experience falls under the former, not the latter. But then again, that's my opinion and I love hearing other's thoughts!

FetePerfection likes this.
  14. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm astounded that Continental did as well is it did. I'm Gold Elite thanks to Centurion card - and getting ready for that to end. As a NJ guy, CO is the easiest airline for me to use. Yet I have two major issues.

1. I find their employees to be detached, uncaring and, often,just plain rude. There is no excuse for this.
    2. They have absolutely no predictability in terms of using points. They release seats whenever they damn please. Other airlines - you plan ahead and you have a shot. You know some seats will be released 330-335 days out and you can make it work. CO - no dice. It makes it impossible to plan and, to me, planning ahead is the name of the game.

CO knows they have a captive market in NJ - 75% of all Newark flights are CO. I know this is capitalism and I've done well with this system, but I always knew I had to make it a win-win situation. They obviously could not care less.