Surprising low Delta airfare LAX - HND -- $181!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by flamingo, Jul 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. flamingo

flamingo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking to do the Delta double miles promo for LAX - HND (http://dmn.delta.com/ace_offers/haneda/) and just found out a surprising low airfare rate of $181 for flight from 9/1 to 9/5.

However, the tax & fee is ridiculous:eek: high -- $626 --> $576 is related to International surchage:mad:

Wow, what is going on?

Taxes and Fees

Base Fare

Passenger Facilities Charge

U.S. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Fee

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Fee

U.S. Custom User Fee

Japan Passenger Service Charge

International Surcharge

U.S. September 11th Security Fee

Total Fare

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the definition of the international surcharge? Is this a fuel surcharge?

$807 ai TPAC RT sounds pretty good, although I think we recently saw some lower fares to HND.

hulagrrl210 and phsu like this.
  3. flamingo

flamingo Gold Member

Status Points:
    From Delta -- International Surcharges -- Carrier-imposed surcharges pursuant to applicable international tariff filings.

The problem I have -- it is a BIG change vs. what I saw in the June quote:( --> Delta lowers the airfare but increase the surchagre in July 2011. All future international quote did have high surchage now.

4. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got so excited when I saw the $181 in the title! Bummer about the surcharge... I was trying to figure out if I could get a positioning flight cheap enough....

I wonder what all goes into figuring the International Surcharge. DL's definition seems vague...

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know JAL is supposedly going to raise fuel surcharges a lot on August 1.

Were any taxes lowered during the FAA shutdown? Could the increase be DL grabbing the taxes we would otherwise pay?

phsu and jmrich1432 like this.
  6. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    None of the international fares I checked that day seemed to have decreased taxes. I may have missed something though or maybe the taxes eliminated were just a small amount in comparison. :confused:

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got really excited too! Those fees are crazy.

jmrich1432 and phsu like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that the 7.5% tax that's being talked about so much in connection with the FAA shutdown is for domestic tickets, which most of the flat per-passenger fees have remained. I've tried to ask in different places exactly how the FAA shutdown has affected international ticket prices, but no one has responded.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  9. flamingo

flamingo Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I use Delta FF miles to check the same route, Delta will only charge $46.50 tax -- which is a reasonable $.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I add the numbers for all the miscellaneous taxes you listed above, I get $50.00 exactly, which adds correctly to the total price of $807, but I don't see a charge for the $3.50 difference or anything that adds to $3.50. There's a mystery here or DL IT is wrong again.

11. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    No mystery. DL has broken out the fuel surcharge from the base fare on international flights now. Because this was only previously shown as a separate line item on DL.dumb on ex-EU award bookings (the only awards where YQ is charged on DL metal), the YQ box on the ticket comes up as "International Surcharge" on DL.dumb.

phsu likes this.
  12. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fat can be trimmed with tricks in another forum if you can take some time to do research.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Contact ryandc99 for some tips.

14. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure if tricking DL is public knowledge or is easy. I have tried myself for an year now and haven't have had much success. Have asked several people and most don't know. The few who do say it is a well-kept secret and "outsiders" wont be let it on it :)

ryandc99 likes this.
  15. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    not really % wise compared to previous raises

16. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only there wasnt a $500 international surcharge

17. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    DeltaExpert likes this.
  18. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    International surcharges are taxed at a different rate from the base fare; both for domestic and international collecting agencies.

Just because the shutdown has occurred here in the States, international authorities are still levying taxes. By increasing the surcharge and lowering the base fare, the consumer pays the same price (so that the increased surcharge offsets the lower base fare), the airline does not need to send as much money to the taxing authorities, and they can keep that revenue.

In short, it's no harm done to the consumers, a good thing for the airlines (more money in their pockets) and a loss to the taxing government for having less revenue (which breeds the question of do these governmental authorities then close the loopholes if possible).

Gargoyle and DeltaExpert like this.
  19. As far as I know, that's the problem with Japanese government. I was told Japanese government is charging ridiculously high taxes and thus should avoid transiting via Japan.

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This surcharge has absolutely nothing to do with the Japanese government or taxes imposed by transiting Japan. It is entirely a fuel surcharge. The phrase "Carrier-imposed surcharges pursuant to applicable international tariff filings" simply means that they can file a tariff (i.e. publish a fare) that includes the YQ surcharge and not list it in the base fare but still charge it and keep 100% of it themselves.

The only thing that any government has to do with these fees is that they permit the airlines to continue to do so.

ryandc99 likes this.