Surprising Gesture from Discover Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by MX, Jan 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last statement from Discover looked a bit unusual on the surface. There were a few small charges and credits, yet the total amount due was a nice round $0.00. Surprised to see such statistically rare balancing act, I took a closer look and discovered the culprit. It was a "Small Balance Credit" entry on the statement (under $2) that zeroed out the balance due.
    Yes, a financial institution just forgave me a small amount ( :eek: ) to save me the chore of making a payment!!! It's a small gesture, but it sure brightened my day. :cool:

Has anyone else ever experienced such unsolicited goodwill gestures from large corporations?

2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps not in the same category, but we've had our Citibank cards for a very long time, and always pay off our monthly statement. Once in a great while, due to "inattentive business" the payment due date has been missed. On the rare occasions that has occurred, Citibank has forgiven us the late fee charge. Perhaps another reason to be an "anti-churn" and also a loyal customer as far as some credit cards are concerned? ;)

Kalboz and MX like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife is a long term AA card holder, that does do churning of other types of AA cards and has received such credits before.

MX and Newscience like this.
  4. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am paranoid about such things, first thing I do on all new cards is set up auto-pay for statement balance.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    MX and Newscience like this.
  5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had the same exact thing happen with Discover Card. It doesn't cost Discover Card much, but it does make for the customer to feel very appreciated, and is a great jesture.

The idea that a credit card company would directly pay for charges made to an account is a fantastic feeling.

A completely different unsolicited goodwill gesture that I've had a large corporate do for me was with Panera Bread in Tulsa, OK.

I had ordered breakfast for my dad and myself, and all I had on me was my credit card. Their credit card machine wasn't working, and I told them I didn't have any cash on me, nor did my dad--- we just had plastic.

Panera's solution?

Breakfast was free.

I'm sure it helped that we had been going to breakfast together there on a relatively frequent basis, but we weren't on a name basis with any of the employees.

I was exceptionally appreciative because that month my parents and I were both facing a tough economic situation. Of course, Panera never knew this. This goodwill jesture is one I'll never forget, especially considering it came at a tough economic time for myself and my parents.

I'm pretty sure this hospitality is part of Panera's ethics, considering they have a few cafe's in the U.S. that are pay-what-you-can-afford.

This goodwill jesture that happened to me and my Dad happened before Panera created their pay-what-you-can-afford Cafes.

MX and boondr like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I read the title to this thread, somehow I thought this would be their gesture...

[​IMG]

MX and boondr like this.
  7. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, I suspect Discover has this "goodwill" pool set aside in the same way other issuers have sign-up bonuses set aside.

That model must work as I have more than a few acquaintances whose first question when they learn about the credit card game is "how do you afford the interest?"

Well for me, like most of you the interest is 0% on all cards, but for a decent segment of the population Discover is one of the most visible sources they can get that.

MX likes this.
  8. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    As to the original question, USAA has always been good to me. Not your typical corporation because their design but they take care of their customers like no other. During my younger, less financially savvy (aka ignorant) days, they forgave a few missed payments on my card. That and the customer service over the years has made me fiercely loyal to them. Even though those negatives would be long off my credit reports, I appreciated it at the time and to this day.

MX likes this.
  9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase seems to waive any balances under $1

MX likes this.