surprised! received pin and chip freedom

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by lapointdm, Dec 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    My freedom was was due to expire January. Today I received a new card in the mail and lo and behold it was pin and chip!

I new some of the chase cards were converting but I didn't think the freedom would until later. Now I just need to go to Europe to try this bad boy out.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    To be clear, you're certain it was chip and PIN and that it doesn't just have a chip but still require signature?

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it's Chip & Pin. I've had 4 separate Chase folks tell me that all Chase cards will be reissued as Chip & Signature by the end of 2015.

mre5765 and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 4 Chase CCs that were reissued just this July after I lost my wallet; they all have the chip but require a signature, not a pin...

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah what everyone else said... Chip+Pin != having a chip on the card

6. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't really matter that much for Europe - PIN or Sign. Either way they'll be accepted now. In the past I've ran into situations where cards without chip could not be used.

7. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here... we had loads of issues getting merchants to take our non-chip Chase/UA card in Munich and Innsbruck.

Curious... which cards do you have? After our issues in Munich and Innsbruck I called Chase to see about getting our UA cards reissued with chip... even offered to pay to have them reissue them. They told me if I wanted a chip my only option was to apply for a Saphire card. I think they totally missed the concept that an airline branded travel card should probably be in the first batch to get chipped. I just got it reissued again thanks to the Home Depot breach... this is a different card design (no numbers on the front), but still no chip. They gave me a 2018 expiration, which I thought was funny since they'll have to reissue it within a year for chipping.

8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have Chase Marriott and Ritz-Carlton with chips. I don't remember if UA has one. IHG does not.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was mistaken; my Chase UA cards do not have the chip (I retired the Explorer for the year, which I use all the time, after I reached $25K spend and did not pay close attention when I had 11 CCs replaced , and most seemed to have the chip). Just got home and checked and only my Chase Hyatt and Chase Marriott CCs have the chip.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does still matter at some transit system kiosks. I've been unable to buy with my CSP chip+sign but successful with my Barclays Arrival plus. That was in Austria in October '14.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Trying to talk machines at train stations or gas stations into accepting a signature is futile.

12. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Varies by location really. ZRH machines just skip the signing part entirely but still issue you tickets, whereas AMS fails with a cryptic error code.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, it does vary. Which is why the distinction between the two types still matters.

14. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I "locked up" several Munich ubahn stations trying to buy tickets with a non-chip card. Even though the picture shows a card with a magnetic strip, the machines locked up on "Authorizing". It took like 10 minutes for the transaction to time out so I felt like it was done trying to charge me and I could walk away.

15. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It matters. I had a Chase BA chip and signature denied at a diner in Berlin in 2013.

The type of card that is needed is Chip and Pin only. No signature as a backup. No Pin as a backup. Just Chip and Pin. K.I.S.S.

HaveMilesWillTravel and webdes03 like this.