Surprised by lack of Marriott options near Times Square in NYC

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by TravelnTexan, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelnTexan

TravelnTexan New Member

Status Points:
    I will be attending some meetings in NYC in December and I was very surprised by the lack of Marriott options near Times Square. Am I missing something? I ended up booking a room at a Hilton property.

2. TravelnTexan

TravelnTexan New Member

Status Points:
    Nevermind... I had a special rate noted which narrowed my search...

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott Marquis.

A crap hotel. But certainly in the heart of times square. I think there is a residence inn across the street, too.

The Algonquin is a Marriott property too..not truly times square, but is marketed as if it is.

4. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the Renaissance Times Sq
    There's also a Fairfield Inn Times Sq - near the port authority bldg that's a few blocks from Times Sq

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good description to be sure- however it is about as central to Times Square (if you want to be there) as possible. It has marginally better service than the Westin (with crap service) nearby. Some people like the W- I am not one of them. I suppose with 2000 rooms someone must like the Marriott.

6. River in Sight

River in Sight Active Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at the Renaissance Times Square a couple of times but find that a lot of noise comes in from adjoining rooms - I actually don't mind the Marquis as the rooms are a decent size for NYC.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    True- however the bathrooms badly need updating.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And don't forget that the JW Marriott at the Essex House is coming soon, too. Only ~10 blocks from the top of Times Square.

Unless you actually need to be in Times Square I'd suggest staying elsewhere, but that's a different debate, I suppose.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed re:Times Square.

That being said- for those who want to stay there- the best option at the moment seems to be the new IC.

The Essex House will have wonderful views of CP from some of the rooms- I have stayed quite a few times at the Trump for this reason- the views are wonderful.