Surfing lessons

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by kellio, Dec 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone chime in on surfing lesson recommendations in HNL?

I'm taking the teenager this winter and surfing is on her to do list. And yes, Mom is diving in for the lesson as well:eek:

2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I did my surfing lesson I did it on Waikiki and would have to say I would not recommend it. Too crowded, actually a bit dangerous with boards flying everywhere.

I am off to Hawaii this weekend and plan on taking a paddle boarding lesson from this group. I like that it is out of the bedlam that is Waikiki. I'll report back on my findings.

http://girlswhosurf.com/

MissBurrill, viguera and canucklehead like this.
  3. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! Definitely want us to be out of Waikiki for the lesson.

Enjoy your trip and look forward to hearing from you when you return.

MissBurrill and canucklehead like this.
  4. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Toula, any opinion on this surf shop?

MissBurrill and canucklehead like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for Waikiki being incredibly crowded. I was just there and the hardcore surfers are out in the water before the sun is even up. Then the tourists show up and it's a mess. The surfers tend to stay out before the breakwater but newbies have to figure out the ropes in the crowd, which is probably not the best idea.

MissBurrill and kellio like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW this is the "surfable" portion of Waikiki. Not sure what time I took this picture... I think it was 9AM or thereabouts, and you can see them all out there already.

[​IMG]

MissBurrill and kellio like this.
  7. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great picture! What hotel did you take this from?

This is my baby we are talking about...I need her to surf in relative safety:D Me as well.

Even though I was a gymnast for 15 years and did multiple years of ballet, I'm accident prone and a bit of a klutz:p

MissBurrill likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's from the 23rd floor of the Marriott near the end of the beach.

There's a surf shop almost directly across the street and I'm sure they have lessons there, and I saw some people with instructors right in front of The Royal Hawaiian (the pink hotel), but like some people say it gets kind of crowded... even if it's not "dangerous" per se you're still looking at learning while dodging people and other surfers so it might be tricky.

The local news always has a wave height forecast and usually Waikiki and the south shore in general is tame compared to the north or west shores, so that might be the only viable option. The day I was leaving they were predicting 4 foot swells for Waikiki, and 6-12 feet on the west shore. :)

MissBurrill likes this.
  9. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at using North Shore Surf Girls...but need to get some more recommendations.

MissBurrill likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eek... are you staying in the north shore as well? Turtle Bay or somewhere nearby?

I ask because 83 is a beast to drive -- single lane and plenty of traffic. I drove a few times from downtown and from Ko Olina and between the local traffic and the buses taking people to the Polynesian Cultural Center, it can take a while, even in nice weather. The 35mph speed limit doesn't help either.

Just putting it out there in case you're not staying nearby to set your expectations... :)

kellio and MissBurrill like this.
  11. HiFlyGirl808

HiFlyGirl808 Active Member

Status Points:
    Kellio,

Ditto with Toula on Waikiki being crowded with tourists, but due to the beach's location proximity from hotels, it will always be one of the most crowded public beaches on island. The best suggestion I can give you is to try and book your lesson at the earliest time possible - so try and get the first or second lesson of the day. Not only will you beat the crowds, but the waves will always be calmer and less choppy in the morning.

As far as beginner lessons go, a great place to start is lessons with the Waikiki Beach Boys. In my earlier days of surfing (I'm born and raised here), I took lessons from these guys and can attest to how fun they are. They're located at right after the Moana Surfrider Hotel (the gorgeous white plantation-style hotel), and to the left of HPD (Honolulu Police Department) Waikiki division. From my experience, they're super friendly and exude the Aloha Spirit :)

As a side note, try to keep clear of the water about 8 - 12 days after the full moon. This is about the time the box jellyfish make their way towards the shore. There will usually be signs posted warning beach goers of their arrival. So if you really want to be in the water, just be aware of anything shiny and bubbly-looking (I think they resemble mini Ziplock bags) floating towards you.

Aside from that, have fun!

Toula, viguera, kellio and 1 other person like this.
  12. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had lessons with Hawaiian Fire and recommend them! They take you out of Honolulu so you get a fun road trip and a quiet beach. Every visit to Hawaii I've booked a lesson with them and enjoyed it. The company was founded by Hawaiian firefighters so they're all surf rescue trained.

Toula likes this.
  13. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the thread-jacking but Mum and I were in Honolulu one day and were wondering why there were so many ambulances zooming around. We put the news on and there was a story about the jellyfish and how the beaches are closed but people still swim. The news even explained that $$$ were spent researching the jellyfish but it was a lifeguard with a calendar who solved the mystery.

kellio likes this.
  14. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the additional tips, I'll check out the other vendors. I know about the tough drive to the north shore and it does way in on my decision which way to go.

I think I already checked the jelly fish report but can't remember the results...off to google once again.

MissBurrill likes this.
  15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the time of the month you might not have any problems with the jellyfish. Although my understanding is the North Shore does see more than its fare share with the Portuguese Man o'War.

kellio and MissBurrill like this.
  16. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend finding an instructor that is recommended rather than just a company -- as a surfer I can tell you all the surf schools have bad instructors and good ones. I surf on the Big Island so can't help on Oahu -- but do be careful -- I've had to drag my fair share of newbies to share over the years...

kellio likes this.