Supreme Court won't hear airline appeal of ad rule

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/01/us-usa-court-airlines-idUSBRE9300A020130401

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear a challenge to a federal government rule that requires airlines to advertise the full cost of tickets. Allegiant Travel Co, Southwest Airlines Co and Spirit Airlines Inc had all challenged the U.S. Department of Transportation's regulation, which prohibits airlines from leaving taxes and government fees out of their advertised rates.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upheld the rule in July on a 2-1 vote. The airlines say the regulation infringes upon their free speech rights. It requires that any price shown in an advertisement must be "the entire price to be paid by the customer," the Department of Transportation said. Airlines can give a separate breakdown of taxes and other costs, but it must be in a smaller size than the total cost and not "displayed prominently," the agency said.

Read More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/01/us-usa-court-airlines-idUSBRE9300A020130401

boondr, 8MiHi and uggboy like this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good use of judicial discretion and not wasting limited Supreme Court resources, IM(nsh)O.

sobore, 8MiHi and Mike Reed like this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a consumer I much prefer to see the total price I must pay right up front. As a politically aware citizen I have some small amount of sympathy for their argument as I do want to see just how much the Government is taking. The courts got it right since I can choose by total cost to me and still see what the taxes/surcharges/fees are.

sobore likes this.
  4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good decision. Next, the government should pass a law requiring all businesses to advertise and quote the full price to be paid by the consumer.

5. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    The tactic that they were going to use was free speech? Seriously?

Wow.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right to lie, distort, and confuse

Aktchi and WhiteDesert like this.
  7. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next up, hotels and "resort fees" please. If it is mandatory, than it should be fraud not to include as part of the quoted price.

akcae, sobore, 8MiHi and 1 other person like this.
  8. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly...

9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Their perspective was "Here is what we charge". The fact that the government piles on is, in their argument, a separate matter similar to a sales tax. I think it is essential that informed consumers understand that taxes have blown up prices substantially over the past few years, but I agree that any price search should start with the total since anything else is misleading. Prior to these rules the pmCO website would often show prices that made no sense to me - a EWR-LHR RT for $750 vs a EWR-FRA-LHR for $550 with the direct flight having an added $200 in taxes and the alternative having $420 an added in taxes and fuel surcharges.
    It made no sense for the EWR-FRA-LHR flight to show as the cheapest, but it did direct my outrage to the governments involved.

10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Here you your total price per night, all fees, taxes and any darn thing else they can invent are included!

11. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    That argument of theirs would work if they weren't hiding their stupid "fuel surcharges" in the list of government taxes and fees. Electric companies like to do the same thing with some of their creative charges.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Fuel surcharges should be included. I would mind less if the taxes were listed separately, but they weren't the only thing being left out.

13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    There would be no excuse for leaving out a fuel surcharge of any sort. That being said, some fuel surcharges may actually hide extra taxes on fuel. If this becomes more common, I would like to see it broken out among the other taxes.