Supreme Court to hear case of couple who sued Air Canada for not being able to order a 7Up in French

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by tcook052, May 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    maradori and Kalboz like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you say "7Up" in French?

3. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL! Love it!

Kalboz likes this.
  4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an American, I'm glad to see that we don't have a monopoly on 1) ridiculous lawsuits and 2) professional victims who are on the lookout for any reason to start crying. :D

Also, if you read the article, you'll notice this guy complained about not being able to be served in French in Atlanta. Even if the ground staff in ATL are AC staff, I don't think AC is going to have a large pool of French speakers applying for those jobs. And they're certainly not going to spend the money to teach the people they do hire French, on the off chance they get some guy with a language chip on his shoulder at the counter. Now, if he wanted to complain about not being able to be served in ATL in Spanish, he may have something. :)

WilliamQ, Kalboz and blackjack-21 like this.
  5. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    This couple is notorious: Just do a search. Of course he's a civil servant to boot apparently. No surprise there that the Official Languages office is funding this nonsense...Your tax dollars at work.

Kalboz, tomh009 and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A rational decision by the Supreme Court. These people are simply ridiculous.

8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    This whole thing is absurd beyond comprehension.
    Sad that even "crazy" claims have the right to go through the legal system all the way, wasting resources at every turn..

tomh009 likes this.
  9. Arcanum

Arcanum Silver Member

Status Points:
    Suffice it to say there's more to this case than some of you seem to think.

As a former Crown corporation (i.e. government-owned company), Air Canada is legally required to provide certain bilingual services which a private enterprise is not. They failed to provide those services, and the courts at every level have said so. Where the SCOC has disagreed with lower courts is on compensation. They ruled the plaintiffs were not entitled to financial damages because (a) the Montreal Convention limits claims that can be made against airlines when flying internationally, and (b) the official apology from AC was considered fair and adequate compensation for the actual offense (unlike our American friends, we don't really give multimillion dollar settlements for every hangnail up here). All in all, it was a pretty balanced and reasonable ruling, which is what we normally get from our Supreme Court.

Oh, and for those complaining about these people wasting the court's time and resources, the case was actually taken to the SCOC on their behalf by the Commissioner of Official Languages. Obviously there are larger legal issues pertaining to bilingualism that merited consideration or the justices wouldn't have heard the case. Up here, "ridiculous lawsuits" from "professional victims who are on the lookout for any reason to start crying" generally don't make it to any court at all, much less the Supreme Court.

The Lev, YULtide, ACMM and 1 other person like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just love the irony that the factor which ultimately killed the claim was the Montreal Convention, an treaty agreed to in a bilingual city in Canada where French is the predominant language. :D

maradori and tomh009 like this.
  11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    @Arcanum, congratulations on your first posting.
    There are many facets to every issue and everyone views a situation differently depending on where they stand.
    I do not think I will ever know every fact about this and the legal system in Canada.

However, there are some reasons why I think this couple is not a true victim but is out to take advantage of the current system
    1) This is not their first lawsuit regarding them not being served in French. They sued in the past as well for the same reasons
    2) They asked for >500,000 in damages for not being served in French
    3) They do know English and had not been inconvenienced
    4) As a civil servant and being bilingual, they probably have been receiving a bilingual bonus*.

*This is an annual bonus for those who are in designated bilingual positions and who meet the language requirements of the position but I am not too familiar with this but have came across this suggestion in a few of the articles I read on this topic

No one would dispute that America probably has the most number of frivolous law suits, brought by individuals or troll companies but you will find it hard pressed to convince others that this couple did not do it out of malicious intent.

As for the case being brought up by the Commissioner of Official Languages, (IMHO) the bureaucracy is responsible for this policy so they have to take up the case or their very own (organisation) existence would be in question.

12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arcanum, welcome to MP!

But this was the third time the honoured M Thibodeau sued an airline for lack of French service: Air Ontario in 2000, Air Canada in 2007 and Air Canada again in 2009. Yet the 46-year-old lives in Ontario, works in the House of Commons as a computer technician, and travels frequently to cities where no French is spoken. He is clearly bilingual, but appears to enjoy filing lawsuits for sport.

Surely our courts have more important cases to consider than whether M Thibodeau and Mme Thibodeau are able to order their 7-Ups in French. Unless the news of court case backlogs were just baseless rumours ...

WilliamQ likes this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1.
    As I am not a Canadian, I was in no position to be critical of the situation but I totally share your views..
    Would Mr Thibodeau be entitle to the annual bilingual bonus?

14. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    William,You have no idea of the nonsense that goes on over language from some francophones who are literally radicalized on language issues. We Canadians have just mostly tuned it out

WilliamQ, tomh009 and ACMM like this.
  15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, on the related matter in this case, if AC's soft drink contract was with Pepsi, they'd have gotten a 7-Up. Because the supplier was Coca-Cola, AC only carried Sprite. However, curious to know if she ordered the drink as a "seven up" or as a "sept haut"?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  16. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it's pronounced correctly as

Le bag du douche

??

Did I get it right?

-David

tomh009, ACMM and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  17. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, "douche" is feminine.

tomh009 likes this.
  18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Bag" is masculine? :eek:

YULtide likes this.
  19. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oui. Le sac.

tomh009 likes this.
  20. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    D'accord. Il est le sac de la douche, ne c'est pas?

YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  21. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    n'est ce pas.

22. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops! That's what I get for trying to use high school French multiple decades later ... :oops:

23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nescafé!

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

maradori, YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  24. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    En fait toute cette affaire est complet merde de taureau :p

YULtide and tomh009 like this.
  25. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    French Fries? :)

YULtide likes this.