Support the troops - and your AA account - through Friday only

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Nov 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got this email from Gerard J. Arpey, American's and AMR's Chairman and C.E.O. (Yeah, that's right -- it had Arpey's name on it and I'm sure it went out to me and nine kazillion of his other closest friends!)

Anyway, it reads in part, "Through November 11, American Airlines AAdvantage® members will be awarded 15 AAdvantage miles, instead of 10, for each dollar donated to the USO through Miles in Support of All Who Serve. A minimum $25 donation will sponsor important programs including care packages providing a touch of home to deployed troops, Mobile USO Centers to support troops far from any other type of assistance, free phone calls home to loved ones, and entertainment and education programs to help children deal with their loved ones being far from home."

So yeah, $25 will get 375 miles. But for those who were hoping for a traditional November dispensation to "Buy AA Miles" above and beyond the 40,000 normally allowed (and didn't, as of now, get one), this might be another way of topping off lifetime accounts before the MM rules change. A donation of $1,000 would not only help the troops immensely, but would also get you, as I read it, 15,000 miles. (The annual cap on miles through USO is 60,000 - which at this week's special rate would be $4,000).

Since United Service Organizations (USO) is a 501(c)(3) organization, I would think it would also get you a tax deduction. However, a good conservative tax accountant (of which I am one, retired!) would rush to caution a donor that he or she should subtract out the value of any premium received (as in miles) from the amount of the contribution, in figuring the deduction.

Anyway, our troops can use some help, so I thought I would post this thought.

Here's the link to the AA/USO donor page: http://joinus.aa.com/uso-care-packages

Counsellor and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Conversation about this offer going on a few post below for those who want to see what others are saying: LINK.

3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have been on the road all day and actually DID try to look on new threads before posting that this evening. Somehow missed it.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Happens to the best of us. ;)

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgive you :D