Supersonic passenger jet would provide fast travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by savydog, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    THE dream for airline passengers and aerospace engineers alike is the day when it takes only a couple of hours to fly from London to New York.

Eight years since the demise of Concorde, the prospect of supersonic travel seems to be getting further away as fuel consumption, carbon emissions and noise regulations have forced pragmatism on the industry's dreamers. The talk of the Paris Air Show last week was of biofuel and fuel efficiency rather than supersonic travel.
    However, tucked away amid the hundreds of small aerospace companies that were exhibiting at the show was a British business that is developing a radical new engine concept. HyperMach wants to build an aircraft - the Sonic Star - that it believes will be able to cruise at Mach 3.1, twice the speed of Concorde.

Read more here ...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...s-fuel-efficient/story-e6frg95x-1226082767746

Tenmoc, jbcarioca, legalalien and 3 others like this.
  2. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting! I think I glanced the headline earlier but never got the chance to read more...

This makes me wonder (if and when supersonic travel is available) how will airline service change...

like, if it takes two hours to go form NYC to Paris, you probably don't need an elaborate setup - a meal, some drinks, and adios! or, if Delta is operating the flight domestic-style, you'd get a couple of drinks and a snack basket :D
    as a passenger, you'd be getting the most expensive bananas ever :D

i doubt anyone would expect a flatbed suite with a shower, either... all those J and F cabin investments become (mostly) irrelevant!

jbcarioca, uggboy and savydog like this.
  3. edison
    Original Member

edison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not exactly, currently SYD-LON is still 20+ hours without any stopovers. Also with Mach 3 I assume the craft can only fly over water only (to prevent sonic boom over land). So there will be need for flat beds and food for ultra long routes.

4. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:
    But they intend to have fancy schmancy (technical term) electromagnetic noise reduction screens!

i mean, it sounds like science fiction for now, but we shall see in 10-15 years, huh :D

I guess Mach 3 would be 1km per second (give or take) - and with LON-SYD's 17k KM, it should take a bit over 4.5 hours :D

jbcarioca, uggboy and savydog like this.
  5. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time for drinks and a movie so maybe an all business flight :)

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  6. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure everyone noticed that the aircraft in the article has 20 (twenty) seats. Since it will burn a lot of fuel to fly at Mach 3, I imagine ticket prices might be higher than Concorde's. And so airline service won't change for the rest of us.

However, if they can manage to develop a large, subsonic plane with much more efficient engines, it might stop or slow down ticket price increases due to climbing oil prices.

jbcarioca, savydog and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes we wish the Concorde would be still with us and we had the chance at least once to fly on and experience this very unusual phenomenon of a plane! Fingers crossed for developments in the future and the price comes in a more affordable range too!:)

jbcarioca, legalalien and savydog like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There were two concepts presented at the Paris Air Show. One of them was by EADS (Airbus parent) called ZEHST (zero emission hypersonic transport). That one would go from PAR-TYO in 2 1/2 hours and would handle large loads, plus be able to fly supersonic over land. That is the one for passengers, but it is targeting for 2050.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h1PE7StoDE

And here is the EADS link, that has more videos too:
    http://parisairshow.eads.com/journal/zehst/

savydog and Tenmoc like this.
  9. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see jbcarioca already posted it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but that concept is the one that could actually make a difference IMO. Were there to be significant interest much of the technology could be a lot faster. The hypersonic experimentation now is very promising, but there is not a larghe commercial investment being made. The hypersonic transition is a difficult issue as well as the noise and friction abatement technologies, but neither is in the realm of science fiction anymore. Maybe I am naive but ZEHST is promising.

Back in the dark ages I worked with a group of acoustic and airframe engineers who had a concept called Quest (Quiet Efficient Supersonic Transport). The project was subsumed by NASA, allegedly because of potential miltary issues, but really because fo lack of commercial funding. The ongoing projects have resulted in large progress in materials, acoustics (one huge key to efficiency and practicality) and propulsion systems. Being a perpetual optimist I expect to see these in operation about 20-30 years from now. I hope i'll be around to fly in one.

Here is the Langley authorized history of this (including the retitled project on which I worked) and other aeronautical developments: http://www.scribd.com/doc/46040371/...volutionary-Advanced-Concepts-for-Aeronautics

savydog, legalalien and Tenmoc like this.
  12. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the further info jbcarioca.