Suntrust/Delta Skymiles

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Zantaine, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Zantaine
    Original Member

Zantaine Silver Member

Status Points:
    All my Delta Skymiles posted today from the Suntrust promo. I'd check your balances if you haven't yet. Thanks again Ingy!

2. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good error on my part when signing up for me and my wife, I mistakenly listed my skymiles number on both personal accounts. All miles from both accounts posted to my skymiles account.

Also, keeping a zero balance in the accounts after the card fee and purchases led them to close the accounts. I called in and verified that they were closed.

Tenmoc, Bikeguy and Vuelos like this.
  3. Vuelos
    Original Member

Vuelos Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bez7, the downside to closing means the bank doesn't get any credit for the signup...

Tenmoc and PedroNY like this.
  4. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    A little off-topic, but did anyone who combined the Suntrust Skymiles debit offer with the $100-$150 checking account promo earlier last year get a 1099-int for the cash bonus? I was actually expecting one but never received it. Just curious...

5. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can just leave $1 in there, let it sit through June and then close it. Bankers don't get bonuses for new accounts for 6 months (or is it 8 with Suntrust?), so you may as well give them a break and let your account sit open. There is no need to close it right away, this way it will make it easier to do this again next year ;)

Best,

PedroNY

Tenmoc likes this.
  6. Zantaine
    Original Member

Zantaine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just an FYI it seems Kris and Megan are no longer working for Suntrust. (For anyone who used them) :-(

7. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    No 1099 here for the miles we got, and we got 250k through this promo

8. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't expecting a 1099 for the miles from the debit card; instead earlier in 2010 Suntrust was offering $150 cash bonuses for opening checking accounts and $100 for those who already had accounts. You had to do several bill pays if I remember correctly. One could then add the Suntrust Skymiles debit card to the account for the miles. It's the actual cash bonus I was assuming would generate a 1099, although I've since checked out a couple of other sites and found others asking the same question so maybe they never issued them?

BTW, sweet chunk of miles - 250k! You maxed out that promo! :)

9. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha yes did quite nicely though one guy on FT is saying he got close to 1m! But I did nicely out of DL last year.

I did see some stuff on FT about Citi erroneously issuing 1099 for miles on one of their promos, I thought that might be why the question was asked

10. Yikes, can anyone confirm this? Maybe a frugal fellow?

11. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Impressive mistake and good to know. If you make mistakes, getting all the miles in one account is a good mistake to make.

12. Vuelos
    Original Member

Vuelos Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rick has confirmed that to me. I'm probably removing the $ I have there next week.

13. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. I hope they took their money and ran rather than were pushed.

14. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Word on the street is that 5 people were fired as a result of this promotion, including 2 tellers. The alleged offense is opening up business bank accounts for businesses that were not located in SunTrust states. The wording was ambiguous and interpreted incorrectly in the case of this SunTrust branch.

There are good details FT about this, including a "pass the hat" effort to raise some support for those who lost their jobs.